Skip to main content

Columbus Day, Like it or Not


Normally on Monday's I'd link to the editorial in Small Town Newspaper, but today's piece isn't online for some reason. At first I was concerned until I picked up the actual paper and saw that I that my little story had been published right where I thought it should be. Yay.

I had an agreement with the old editor that allowed me to copy my editorials onto my blog, but we've got a new guy now, and he and I haven't had that conversation. Let's just assume he could care less, and I can copy it here today.

So, like it or not, it's Columbus Day, and here's what I have to say about that:

In fourteen hundred ninety-two,
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
He had three ships and left from Spain;
He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain.

Columbus Day used to be appreciated with just such a childlike acceptance with kids reciting rhymes and building the Pinta, the Niña and the Santa Maria out of old cardboard boxes. Columbus was simply the hero who discovered America. It didn’t matter that he wasn’t the first European to set foot on soil west of the Atlantic or that he never actually found the continents—the mere act of sparking the expansion of the western world made him worthy of honor.

Now, there are state capitals and colleges and streets and rivers and a country named for him. Even the original Pledge of Allegiance was written to commemorate his first voyage. And it isn’t just the United States that honors Columbus. European countries have held him in high regard as well, and there are statues of him in city squares and days set aside to give him his due.

But not everyone thinks Christopher Columbus was such an honorable man deserving of being hailed as a hero, and more than 500 years after his first voyage across the Atlantic, people fiercely debate his best and worst aspects.

He was an adventurer, an experienced sailor, a man of vision who believed he was guided by God. He waited out the skeptics who were sure he had underestimated the circumference of the planet (he had), and he was persistent in pleading for financial support year after year. Columbus left behind volumes documenting his voyages and his thoughts, and he once wrote, “By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination.” Among many things, he certainly prevailed in pursuit of his goal.

On the other hand, he was a slave trader, capturing even the friendliest of indigenous people he found in the Caribbean for return to Spain. He set them to the task of mining for gold, and he took advantage of their passive nature, writing, “I could conquer the whole of them with 50 men, and govern them as I pleased.” He and his men introduced diseases like smallpox and malaria to these strangers and eventually all but wiped out their villages as a result. This captain of four historic voyages that would change the world allowed raping and pillaging and brutal disregard for human life in the name of conquest and glory.

So, why do we devote a day, even marginally, to his honor? Why did we choose to make an icon out of someone with so many flaws? I think the answer lies in recognizing there is no such thing as a human being without flaws, even major defects in character that may out weigh his qualities. I can’t think of a historical or notable figure we honor with special days that didn’t also demonstrate some of humanity’s darkest aspects. Our presidents, civil rights leaders, saints and even veterans had just as many flaws as they had honorable traits.

If we insist on only acknowledging people who are pure and guiltless, and if we keep trying to make super heroes out of mere human beings, then we’ll never recognize a single person for his or her accomplishments. We’ll never be able to applaud an achievement large or small without picking the bones of the achiever.

Today, indigenous people argue against acknowledging Columbus Day, and I can understand their point if the day were meant to praise the horrors of history, of conquering and obliterating weaker civilizations. But if you see the day as a way to recognize one man’s achievements in exploration and to give a nod to that bravest part of us all that sends us out into the unknown regardless of risk, then granting a day to remember Christopher Columbus is appropriate.

And taking a few moments to see that day with some childlike enthusiasm might not be such a bad idea either.

Day after day they looked for land;
They dreamed of trees and rocks and sand.
On October 12 their dreams came true.
You never saw a happier crew.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Today is Thanksgiving in Canada.
Madame DeFarge said…
Interesting. I always wonder about revisionism and deciding that our heroes are not longer and that our villains are now heroes. I think you're right about the balance between flaws and goodness. And he was a man of his time. We judge him through a lense of modernity - not entirely fair.
Here's to "The Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria".

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...