Skip to main content

Big Scary Monster


This little guy, Mike, may look sweet and harmless, but apparently he is really a big, scary monster. Or at least that's what he becomes when he feels his territory is being invaded. As an inside cat, his territory is anything within the walls of this house, a house I thought was ours but evidently belongs to the cat.

Over the weekend, Husband and I went to the lake house for an evening. I packed up supplies for dinner, fed the cats, and told my dear friend and neighbor that, yes, she could use my ovens while I was away. She has a house key, so we drove off and let her have the kitchen.

Here's what happened when this dear friend and neighbor, lover of animals, kind soul, came into my kitchen to bake. Mike went insane. Mike took her as an intruder in his divinely appointed space and set out to remove her. As he does when he sees a wondering cat through the window, he started screaming in that terrible cat scream that says, "If you don't heed this warning, I'll lunge at you and rip you to kingdom come." His tail puffed out, his ears went back, and he charged, screaming.

My friend yelled at him and called him by name, but he was not appeased. So, she grabbed a baking pan and threw it on the floor. The clanging sound sent Mike scampering into another room, but he was only put off for a few minutes. He came back twice more, both times as furious and protective of his space as before, and both times causing my friend to have to bang baking pans on the tile to fend him off. And to think she was afraid of upsetting his imbalanced blood-sugar level. She should have smacked his big, fat head.

So, here's what I think. I think Mike owns this house, or at least in his mind he owns it, and he allows us to live here. While he hisses at Husband, he doesn't scream or charge, but he has staked his claim. All along I thought we had a pet, but we are the pets, it turns out. When I thought I was taking care of Mike because he's my fluffy bundle of fur, it seems he owns me so that he can have food and water and litter and insulin and a belly rub now and then.

That soft blanket No. 1 crocheted for me? No, it's Mike's. He sleeps on it and only lets me wrap up in it when he's in another room. Those dining room chairs I thought were for the family and guests? They're really for Mike to hide under when trouble comes. That chair under the skylight where I like to read? It's really his daybed, and my presence in it is only tolerated.

Comments

Shan said…
Bahahahaha! What a kitty!! :D I've never known a guard cat before. I would have cooed at him until he was eating out of my hand. I am a cat whisperer.
dive said…
It's taken you this long to figure that out, Robyn?
Hee hee. Cats own everything. They only allow us in their lives and homes as slaves, comforters, waiters and - as you know from Mike's yarn ball - jesters.
You are not the highest form of life in your house and that's just something you'll have to learn to live with.
savannah said…
this is why i no longer have pets, sugar! miss daisy is enough! xoox
OMG. Now you know why I don't like cats. Robyn, that is a horror story I've just read. Nothing would make me want to enter your home whilst you were away. I would not leave alive. You see, I knew cats were like this. I KNEW it.
Alifan said…
Ha ha Robyn, what a lovely tale.

Oscar does allow certain people in he does rush to the door when anyone comes to check if they are allowed in...but as he has lost his voice of late (he is getting better) he cannot shout at them..... nice to know you are like me with Cats.... Dive and Phil both think I am daft with mine, but notice they love him just the same....
pf said…
Geez! Poor Jane!! We figured out a long time ago that our cats tolerate us living in their space. Poor Mike...attack cat and guard cat all in one!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...