Skip to main content

Another Day In

JJill used to sell a shirt they called the Artisan Shirt. It's made of light denim and is styled sort of like a nehru jacket with that kind of collar and covered buttons. It's full and comfortable, though, instead of being fitted, and the best part is, you don't have to hold your stomach in when you wear it.

I'm wearing that shirt today, although I'm calling it the Convalescing Shirt. With the sleeves rolled up, it's like I'm getting down to business, but I'm really just fighting this traveling flu. I'm calling it the traveling flu because it moves from body part to body part—throat, lungs, sinuses. First a fever, then not a fever, then a fever again. Last night I could barely breathe because every breath sounded like a rain stick with rattling and wheezing, and my nose was stopped up, and I felt like I needed a sauna. So, I moved into the guest room, which is the smallest room in the house apart from the laundry room, and I set up the vaporizer. I shut myself in there and breathed in the moist air until my sinuses opened up, and I could sleep.

And, boy, did I sleep. I also dreamed. I dreamed my orchestra was invited to give a concert in London, and I was asked to participate. My family was planning on being there that week anyway, so of course, I said yes. I showed up at the first rehearsal only to find I had completely misunderstood—it wasn't a full orchestra concert but a 16-piece horn ensemble, and the other horn players from my group had backed out at the last minute. I hadn't had a chance to look over the music and had to just take my seat, the last one, and sight-read with these tuxedoed professionals from The London Symphony in the front row turning around to look at me with absolute disdain. Fortunately, I woke up before I had to play a single note and prove once and for all I had no business being there.

Even though I'm wearing this so-called artisan shirt, I will probably not create any art today, but you never know. During each day this week, I have painted something with watercolors, and even though I enjoyed every minute of the process, the results will just have to be chalked up as a learning experience—how not to paint. On second thought, maybe I should paint a picture of this shirt, or myself wearing it while struggling to play impossible music with people all dressed for a concert in London. I could call it The Traveling Convalescent. Darn my fevered brain.

Comments

dive said…
Hi, Robyn! I was there in the audience at that London concert and you totally rocked! I remember at the end all the other horn players congratulating you on your playing.

That flu truly sucks. Do get better soon, if only so you can play horn without your head exploding.
Shan said…
Oh dear. Are you sure it's a viral thing? You have been sick for quite a while dearie. Your fever inspired art might be fun to see. It would probably be more raw in nature somehow. I drew a picture once when I was having an extremely low blood sugar. Jamey swears it was one of my best! Baha

Do get well, won't you? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...