Skip to main content

Tapas in Barcelona

We went to Barcelona today, but the activity we chose had us seeing very little of it. We were part of a small group, maybe 20 people or so, who took a little shuttle to the cathedral square where we had a quick look, and then we walked around the corner, climbed a short flight of stairs, and found seats in a room that was sort of like a cooking school.

A Spanish woman who spoke a fair amount of English guided us through the making of several tapas one by one. She demonstrated the making of a Spanish tortilla, which is really an omelet made with eggs and sliced fried potatoes. She made kick-ass gazpacho and a béchamel sauce—very thick with diced ham and mushrooms—that was used in two dishes, and then she walked us through the steps of making cold tapas.

We wrapped some of the béchamel mixture with ham and cheese; dipped it in flour, egg and breadcrumbs; and fried it to make croquettes. We mixed crab and diced endive for topping small slices of bread, threaded pickled vegetables onto skewers for kebabs, and fried squid in a light coating of cornmeal. The chef did most of the cooking, but we were able to watch the entire process and, of course, eat the whole lot.

A sommelier joined us with samples of Spanish wines—cava, a light white, a heavier red, and a very sweet wine similar to port. The whole experience was wonderful, although I think Husband didn’t enjoy the demonstration portion as much as he enjoyed the eating. In Spanish, he told the chef that he didn’t like to cook but loved to eat, so she let him off the hook for helping to cook the omelets.

Even though we didn’t get a tour of the city or hear anything about its history, we ate the local food, which can tell you volumes about the local people. For instance, that the Spanish revive old bread by rubbing a cut garlic clove on the surface, followed by rubbing it with a cut tomato, and then drizzling it with good olive oil and adding a bit of salt tells you they are resourceful and know how to use rustic ingredients at hand to make one of the tastiest elements on the dinner plate.

The fact that the Spanish can make a magnificent cold soup with just a few things from the garden—tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumber—add a little olive oil, maybe some salt and a little water—tells you they can take something simple and turn it into a dish fit for any table.

There was nothing pretentious about today’s food demonstration. There were no garnishes, the plates weren’t decorated with a reduced balsamic vinegar and nothing was stacked, sculpted or televised. It was unapologetically humble and delicious, and it brought people together. In our group, there were Americans, English and Canadians, and there was a couple from the Bahamas. And we all passed the plates and bowls of ingredients, and we all enjoyed the wine together and left satisfied.

If I am ever in Barcelona again, I’ll make it a point to see the sights and learn the history. But today, I was content with a bite-sized taste and a few hearty sips of what sustains the culture.

Comments

dive said…
Wow! Delicious, Robyn!
I am SO hungry after reading that!
Thank Heaven it is nearly lunchtime here.
pf said…
I LOVE gaspacho...I actually have a recipe that is probably quite yellowed by now since I got it as a Spanish IV student in high school!!! Sounds like your day in Barcelona was right up your alley, Robyn :) How enjoyable! See you soon.
MmeBenaut said…
What a fabulous way to learn the culinary culture Robyn.
I made Gazpacho once but I wasn't that keen on it. I guess I prefer my soup to be hot!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...