Skip to main content

Rome In a Day

We went to Rome today. The ship docked at Civitavecchia where all the ships dock, and those of us signed up for this specific tour were given an orange sticker to wear so we’d be easily identified, herded onto a bus and handed receivers to hang around our necks so we could hear the tour guide who was quite often walking yards ahead. There was no disguising our status as tourists at that point, but what choice did we have?I love the idea of exploring a city without a guide, but when the city is so foreign and there is so much to see and understand, it makes sense to follow a guide on your first visit.

Our guide, Paula, was full of information about the history of the city and the modern culture—at one point, she declared the Latin lover to be dead because all the men in Rome have become Mama’s boys who prefer to live with their parents until they are 40 at least, and then they are too old for a wife and a family, but she wasn’t bitter.


We got off the bus not far from the Colosseum and then walked there to explore the place. Good lord, it’s ominous. The emperor would host free entertainment in the Colosseum with free food for all, so it was a big hit. The early Roman definition of entertainment (thirst for blood) wasn’t what I’d call entertaining, but we don’t need to go into that.

Then we walked across the street to the Forum, a huge collection of ruins still being excavated. After the Barbarians brought down the Roman Empire and the Church eventually took control of the city, the Popes oversaw a cannibalizing of the monuments and turned pagan structures into churches. And a millennia’s worth of wear and tear added to the general destruction of the place. It’s amazing how much is still standing, though.



The Pantheon, for example, is beautifully intact, and it’s over 2,000 years old. The fact that it's not just standing but is solid is a testament to the engineering genius of the ancient Romans. We walked there, too. And then we walked to the Fountain del Trivi:


Because of the crowds, we weren't able to get close enough to toss a coin in, but it really is a marvel. There are lots of little shops near there (along with thieving Gypsies, we were warned), and I bought some silk scarves for the girls and a pair of extremely cool silver earrings.

On this excursion, we were treated to a wonderful lunch—lasagna as the first course, great wine, pork with salad, tiramisu and some of the best espresso I’ve had so far. We shared a table with a nice couple from north of London, and we talked about everything from health care options to honoring our elderly mothers by giving them things they never dreamed of having in their impoverished youth.

It was an exhausting day, and I have a monster of a headache, which is rare for me, so I’m resting in the room as we slowly back this big boat out of the harbor. We’ll sail to Livorno over night, and tomorrow, Husband and I will travel to a farmhouse in Tuscany for a wine tasting and tour of the winery.

Until then, here is a shot of the pines of Rome.


Comments

dive said…
Wonderful photos, Robyn!
You've been so lucky with the weather, too.
pf said…
The Pines of Rome....ah!!!! Could the monster headache be caused by all the wine tasting?? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...