Skip to main content

Plum Tart


I pulled out one of my favorite cookbooks the other day, Bon Appétit by Barbara Fairchild. It's 750 pages plus an index of pure cooking joy. These are all recipes pulled from issues of the magazine of the same name, and they are all approachable. Don't be put off by the price of this book ($35) because it includes a two-year subscription to the magazine.

I made last week's menu from the book—Corn, Wild Rice and Sausage Soup; Jamaican Jerk Burgers with Orange-Chipotle Mayo; Fettuccine Bolognese; Grilled Pork Fajitas with Chipotle Chile Sauce; Tandoori-Spiced Chicken with Tomato-Ginger Chutney. I think it was all good, but the Jamaican jerk sauce was the best.

I also made a dessert, which I normally don't bother doing. I made the Country Plum Tart on page 600, and it was all I could do not to eat the entire thing—I didn't, mind you—just had my fair share. I served it with Häagen-Dazs vanilla, specifically the Five sub-brand. Each flavor (ginger is wonderful, by the way) is made with only five ingredients.

I'm pretty sure this would work well with most fruit—apples, pears, berries—but for now, here is the plum version.

Serves 6 to 8

Crust
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
5 tablespoons ice water

Filling
1 1/2 pounds red-skinned plums, halved, pitted and sliced
1/3 cup plum jam
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 tablespoons, divided
1 egg, beaten

For crust: mix flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water by the tablespoon and process just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic, and chill 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375˚F. Roll out dough on large sheet of parchment paper to 1/4-inch-thick round. Trim dough round to 14-inch diameter. Transfer dough on parchment paper to large baking sheet.

For filling: Mix plums, jam, vanilla, allspice in large bowl. Mound plum mixture in center of dough, leaving 3-inch plain boarder. Sprinkle fruit with 2 tablespoons sugar. Fold dough border over fruit, pleating loosely and pinching to seal any cracks. Brush dough with beaten egg. Sprinkle remaining sugar over dough.

Bake tart until crust is brown and filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to rack and cool tart slightly, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

dive said…
Ooooooh, maximum yum!

Thanks for making me drool with hunger, Robyn.
You'd better not see what's cooking over at mine today.
kyle@sift said…
We have a new vendor at the market, Vincent Orchards. They raise apples, peaches and plums. Hopefully they will find their way into one of your delicious meals.
Oh, this is helpful. I have some peaches I have been indecisive on how to handle.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...