Skip to main content

A Lovely Afternoon

I had a lovely time yesterday afternoon.

I got this idea that Small Town Newspaper needed a story about the damage our burgeoning deer population is causing to area farmers. So, I got on the phone with a director from the state farm bureau and learned that the state of Ohio has around one million deer, but the bureau would like to reduce the number to a quarter million. Of course, the only way to do that is to kill the things, so they are working on ways to get hunters in touch with farmers.

Most farmers don't like opening their land to hunters because they've had bad experiences with them in the past. Sometimes hunters come with buddies and sit in the woods, drink beer, and shoot anything that moves. One farmer said to me, "If it's brown, it's down," as the motto the jerks tend to have. And some hunters will show up in the middle of the night, or shoot too close to a residence or wipe out the buck population for the trophy of the antlers but leave the does behind to have more babies. Did you know deer tend to have twins? Deer can also jump ten feet high, and a buck can smell a doe in heat from seven miles away. Fascinating.

So, we have too many deer, and now there is a website to connect smart and experienced hunters with the farmers who want to save their crops. That leads me to yesterday afternoon.

I was aware of a Christmas tree farmer near here who has suffered a great deal of damage because of deer, and he agreed to give me a tour of his acreage to show me first hand. I arrived at his house on schedule, but he and his wife were running late and just having lunch. We sat on their back deck in this secluded and perfectly groomed garden with flowers and humming birds and a glistening swimming pool, and the view down into the valley and across the neighboring hills was spectacular. We talked about all kinds of things, mostly deer. And we drank soda and laughed and enjoyed the sunshine.

After lunch, I hopped on the little car thing with the farmer for a tour of the damaged trees. Here is where I'll confess my ignorance and let you think I'm a total idiot. The day before, when I called for an appointment, the wife said her husband was out on his mule. He later returned my call and said he'd be glad to give me a tour. "We'll hop on the mule and go out to the field," he said. I was excited because I've never ridden a mule before, and I thought I'd like to add that to my list of experiences for Small Town Newspaper.

Well, a minute or so later, when I was telling the farmer one of his neighbors had driven me out to his field on his all-terrain vehicle, he said, "Oh yeah, he's got a mule, too." That's when I realized I would not be riding a cross between a horse and donkey, but I would be riding a little cart with the brand name of Mule. What a disappointment.

Fortunately, I hadn't expressed my excitement for mule riding to the farmer, so I didn't have to apologize for being a maroon. The ride out through the damaged trees on the stupid cart was fascinating, and I learned a lot about different kinds of Christmas trees and how deer go about eating them—they like white pines and Norway spruce, by the way, but they aren't so fond of the Scotch pines because they are so prickly. Another nice afternoon in pursuit of a story.

This is one of the few remaining white pines on the farm. Deer have eaten it as far as they could reach without standing on their hind legs. This is typical of a lot of trees on the farm.

Comments

Sister #1 said…
If it's any consolation, I would not have known that a mule was a cart either - and there are at least 4 of them on our street. We also have dozens of deer in what is supposed to be a residential neighborhood! They also like roses, most veggies, hydrangeas and Leland Cypress. A friend of mine put an electric fence around her garden with a dab of peanut butter on the wire, just to scare them. It worked for a while - now she is putting up a higher wire.
dive said…
Great piece, Robyn.
You know I like finding gratuitous alliteration and beautifully constructed sentences in places where they're not really needed (like blogs).
I can't wait to read the finished article.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...