Skip to main content

I'm Pretty Sure This Can't Get Any Worse

So, the president wants to talk to America's school children and ask them to work hard, set goals for themselves and not drop out of school. His speech to them will be a voluntary event so kids can choose to listen or not, and school principals can choose to offer it or not. He will encourage kids to do these things:

• Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily.

• Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short‐term and long‐term education goals.

And now people are accusing President Obama of trying to indoctrinate children with his socialist agenda and equating this with Hitler's Youth Program. The head of the Florida GOP has even called him the Pied Piper. Granted, the department of education originally suggested asking kids to write letters about how they can help the president, although given the context of encouraging kids to be better citizens, why is that bad? Now the wording has been refined and edited as copy tends to be through time. That's how it works.

I'm pretty sure the knee-jerk tone in this country cannot possibly get any worse.

I remember when I was a kid in school. I hated gym class more than I can express—the clothes, the locker rooms, the showers, the personal lack of physical coordination. And I acutely remember when the gym teacher forced the President's Fitness Challenge on us all. It wasn't voluntary. It was mandatory, and it was grueling. We had to do so many sit ups and jumping jacks and chin ups. We had to run laps and climb ropes and do God knows what to earn points and that dadblasted patch with the presidential seal on it.

If you proved you were as physically fit as the president thought you should be (then, it was Nixon), you'd get a document and a patch to sew on your jacket. If you were a slug like little Scout was, you got nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Looking back on that program, one that is still going strong, I suspect it was all a ruse to build a youth army. Eisenhower started it, but Nixon could have made good use of the fittest of us in battling his demons, don't you think? He could have trained us to help him win over China and topple the opposition at his impeachment hearings and defend his honor, or at least to wipe his sweaty lip.

In 1988, Ronald Reagan spoke to a group of middle school students, a presentation that was later broadcast to students all over the country, and he extolled his approach to government—"free enterprise, low taxes, and open world trade," as he put it. I don't recall anyone suggesting Reagan was indoctrinating children with his partisan views.

George H. W. Bush addressed the nation's school kids, and later his son encouraged them to participate in the war in Afghanistan by helping out the kids in that country—basically he asked kids to help the president. He said, "We are asking every child in America to earn or give a dollar that will be used to provide food and medical help for the children of Afghanistan." Enlisting children to provide humanitarian aid in a war zone is apparently acceptably patriotic, but asking them to step up and take responsibility for their future is an evil plot.

The council president of the PTA has said Obama is cutting out the parents by talking directly to the children. I wonder if she said the same thing when Bush and other presidents before him did the exact same thing. And I wonder if she says that about all the teachers her organization stands behind who talk directly to the children.

For the people to suggest Obama's speech is an attempt to use children to "spread his socialist agenda" is so asinine, I can hardly type out the words without thinking this all a joke, something The Onion would report instead of the national news networks.

Really, can it get any worse?

Comments

savannah said…
sugar, sadly it can and will because the voices of stupidity are at full volume. *sigh* xoxoxo
I was misled by Fox News I think. lol. Interesting piece as usual Robyn.
neetzy said…
I am outraged by the Rush Limbaugh ditto heads aka stupid heads. I cannot believe there are so many stupid, uneducated people in this country. I have never seen such opposition to a president and therefore I believe it is racism. The movement is disrespectful at the least and unAmerican. As much as I disagreed with Bush I gave him enough respect to listen to his speeches.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...