Skip to main content

Finally Home

We're home. We pulled into the driveway last night, and I think we were both asleep within 15 minutes of walking through the door. Now, while Husband is at work, I am trudging through the tasks of settling in—unpacking, doing laundry, getting the cats from the boarder, getting the mail from the post office, dropping a load off at the dry cleaners, emptying the fridge and going to the store in order to fill it up again. And through all of it, I'm sneezing and coughing a painful cough feeling slightly ragged.

I'm glad to be home, but wasn't it just a couple of days ago that we were world travelers? Wasn't it just a couple of days ago that we were in Europe? The ship docked in Southampton early Saturday morning, and by 11:00ish, we checked into the Hilton at Heathrow. Not wanting to hang around the airport all day, we took the train into Central London. We went straight to the half-price ticket booth at Leicester Square and got tickets to a matinee performance of Chicago. We had lunch, walked to the theater, did a little shopping, saw the show.

We spent the afternoon in London just because we could and then took the train back to the hotel. Then after traveling all day yesterday, we're back home. The cats are happy and healthy, and it's time to get back to the usual routine, time to make dinner instead of having it served to us, time to pay attention to the clock instead of having no idea what time it is or even what day, time to stop being world travelers.

Just for one last taste, though, here is a short video of the Atlantic as seen from deck 2 on the Queen Mary 2. There was an ocean swell that caused the ship to pitch in a rhythmic way and to creak and rattle with the waves.

Comments

dive said…
Welcome home, World Traveller!

Those are awesome bow waves, and what a nice blue sea! I like the cough and the sniffles and the drinking noise at the end. Hee hee.

You've not missed much, leaving for home. London was still London today, though the sun came out from time to time. I'll look after it for you until you come back.

Say hi to Mike and Tiger from me!
Wow I'm so terribly envious and thrilled that you've had such an adventure! It really has been marvellous hasn't it. I won't, for one, get tired of photos so please post some more or if you have other stuff for here, put them on FB! I want to see! or is that sea? ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...