Skip to main content

Day 1—Sort of

We arrived in London yesterday, hired a car to Southampton, and have been staying at a hotel there trying to catch up on sleep. I think that's technically impossible. You can try all you want, but you'll never really catch up. On the plane, I had the opportunity to buy a jet lag kit from the duty free catalog. It was full of gunky stuff to keep your face from looking like you've been under water for a week, and I briefly thought that might be a good purchase. I decided against it, but now in retrospect, I'm not so sure that was wise.

We'll board the ship this afternoon at 1:00, so we've got a few more hours to relax at the hotel, waste time on Facebook and have breakfast. Hello to Dive and Beryl and Lynn who are actually in the same time zone as I am for a little bit—your country is lovely, but the lifts are so tiny, if they weren't lined with mirrors, I might have hyperventilated.

Here is my last Small Town Newspaper article for awhile, so I'll link it here. I would like my own country to sing one big song together while we're away so that when we return, everyone will be suitably behaved, full of empathy and respect for their fellow citizens.

Comments

dive said…
Great article, Robyn. Very rousing!
Glad to have you over this side of the pond again. I hope your cruise is wonderful.
Madame DeFarge said…
All very exciting. Hope you enjoy your trip.
he he sorry about the lifts...

It's weird knowing you've been here and I couldn't see you! Even more strange, I used to live just 3 miles from Southampton. I also lived in London but that's another story lol. I hope you found something good about Blighty :)
Alifan said…
ello dear Robyn, I have been naughty and not been on the nlog much of late, but am catching up....

Have a wonderful holiday my dear, enjoy, and I will love reading all about it when you return....

Bet you are going to look great in all your outfits... I always find pashmina's wonderful for changing an outfit, and in my case they hide a multitude of sins.. tee hee....

Wish we could have met in London again... but never say never....have fun...xx

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...