Skip to main content

The Cure For What Ails You

I'm still sick, and I mean really sick. I don't have a fever, but I do have that achy-skin feeling and chills that usually accompanies one. My eyes are watery, I struggle to get a good breath, I could do a good impression of Barry White, my throat is sore, and I have this very unpleasant and painful cough that no one else would ever want to hear. And we don't have to talk about the stuff I've been coughing up—I think it's the lining of a lung.

So, what did I do yesterday to take care of myself? Well, after I took care of all the back-in-town tasks that needed doing and had lunch, I got to work in the kitchen. I couldn't stand the idea of just sitting on the couch and watching daytime TV, and Turner Classic Movies paid tribute to Donna Reed all day (she's not a favorite even with It's A Wonderful Life) and I couldn't focus enough to read or write, so I cooked. Don't worry, though, I washed my hands a lot, and I don't think I'm contagious. I actually diagnosed myself with the help of the Internet, which is always a reliable substitute for a doctor—I've got acute bronchitis which can't be treated by antibiotics and was probably caused by an allergy.

Anyway, back to the kitchen. I made three baguettes using a perforated baguette pan I forgot I had. I made a batch of granola that I am hoping won't be too crunchy for my poor throat, and I made dinner. This is the recipe I followed from the recent issue of Bon Appétit. I won't bother to post it all here because it was sort of a disappointment even though it included some of my favorite ingredients.

Here's what I think—in case you'd like to give it a try yourself—the spinach was like watery mush and would have been much more flavorful if it had been wilted in the shallot and garlic sauce instead of in the boiling water. And I think that sauce could have used a hit of heavy cream for texture, and the whole thing could have used some grated Parmesan or Romano.

So today, I'll try to stay out of the kitchen and actually get some rest. Since TCM is paying attention to Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon today, that might be an OK thing. Oh, and I plan on setting Tiger on the cricket that has found its way into the living room. He loves those things and eats them whole.

Comments

savannah said…
glad y'all are back, sugar! if y'all even think it's bronchitis GET TO THE DOCTOR NOW! seriously, don't self diagnose, i know this from experience! xoxox
dive said…
Toasted crickets are a sure cure for bronchitis, Robyn, and Savannah's right (as always), hie thee to the doctors, pronto!

Get well soon; oh, and a good convalescent activity is to catch up on the 500 Words pieces you missed while you were away. Get writing! Hee hee (sorry).
Eustacia said…
I'm pretty sure you have swine flu. The fever is just late. I doubt water spinach mush is a cure for that, so watch TMC all day and go to the doctor tomorrow.

-E-
MmeBenaut said…
Poor old thing Robyn. A teaspoon of honey might ease the throat but if you have fever, perhaps you do need an antibiotic.
I hope it's not swine flu. I'm thinking of having a vaccination before I get on the plane to the US.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...