Skip to main content

A Country A Day

At each port on this trip in the Mediterranean, we have chosen guided excursions, although you have the option to go ashore on your own and explore at will.

On Sunday, the ship docked in Livorno, Italy, and we toured a 15th-century villa and winery about 25 minutes outside of the city. The guide, a feisty woman named Lila, took us to this villa, the Varrimista, where a more local guide allowed us into the main room. The home is owned by the family that builds Vespas, and there is a classic model on display in the room. The rest of the house is closed off to the public because the family stays there now and then.

We then toured the small winery including what looked like an ancient wine cellar underneath the house where tiny lizards and giant beetles live. There was mold on all of the walls, and spider webs holding dead spiders in the doorways.

Then we went into a more modern room for a wine tasting. Each table was given a platter of very nice sheep’s milk cheese and local salamis and bread and local olive oil, and we were given three tasting glasses of their wines, all distinct and pleasant. To top it off, we were served biscuits and grappa made on the grounds. Our guide had warned us about grappa, so I was hesitant, but it turns I like it. I like it very much, in fact. You can really only take a small serving at a time, the way you would an aperitif or a port, but it’s just enough to cure all your ills and make life grand.

Sunrise in Monaco. On Monday, we anchored in Monte Carlo, which is so tiny of a place—actually, all of Monaco is tiny—you can see it all from your balcony, and you can walk the width of the country in about an hour. We toured the city and the rock with the help of a French woman named Cecile who has in mind she should marry Prince Albert because they have so much in common.

The rock is where the old fort is and the royal residences and government buildings—Monaco’s equivalent of a congress and the courthouse, etc. As we were walking along an old brick walkway, two wet dogs came up from steps that led to the sea and ran through our group. We stepped aside for them and then discovered they belonged to Princess Caroline who followed behind them with her daughter. They didn’t say a word—not excuse us or sorry for the dogs. When they left, the guide whispered their identity to us, and as we followed behind them on our walk, we had to step around a pile of dog poo left behind by the pooches. The guide called it “royal caca,” and we noted that even royal caca stinks. Nice to know, huh?

The royal casino. Anyway, Monte Carlo is absolutely beautiful, as you would expect given it is home to more millionaires per square mile than any other spot in the world, or so they say. The hotels and the royal casino and the public gardens are all remarkable. After the tour, we went our own way and had lunch at the Café du Paris right beside the casino. Now, back on the ship, we’ll just sit on our quiet balcony while the hideous tenders are below and relax with books and a little Australian Shiraz.

The tomb of Princess Grace in the cathedral. People still put flowers there every day.

Tomorrow, Barcelona. I’m afraid we are ruined.

Comments

Shan said…
What beautiful photos Robyn! This sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Thanks for taking us along. :)
dive said…
Ooooooooooo …
I WANT that house!

And that wine!

AND that sunset!
MmeBenaut said…
Royal caca indeed! Cecile and the Prince sound like a likely pair!
I did love Monaco though and I could live on Port and Sheep's milk cheese.
What a fabulous trip you're having.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...