Skip to main content

Bon Voyage

Dear blogville, I will be away for two weeks. Husband and I are going on a cruise to the Mediterranean, and tomorrow we fly to England to board the Queen Mary 2.

Our route will take us to Lisbon, Gibraltar, Rome, Monte Carlo and Spain. Plus, we'll have five solid days at sea for a total of 12 days and nights. The Royal Astronomical Society will be on board for lectures during the day and star gazing on the upper deck at night, and a fellow from the University College London who specializes in astronomy will be with us as well—apparently, 2009 is the international year of astronomy.

Husband and I have already reserved several excursions—walking tours, mostly, and some wine tastings and a culinary event in Spain where we'll create our own tapas plate. And we've had to collect an assortment of fancy schmancy clothes for the formal and semi-formal evenings. It's hardly fair, you know, that men get to buy one tuxedo with a couple of ties, and they're set. Women, on the other hand, have to stock up—I went cheap and bought a few things that I can wear twice but camouflage with different accessories so I can at least pretend I'm wearing something new. For example, I found a long, brown strappy dress for $55 that will look one way with a paisley wrap one evening and then look another way altogether with a lacy bolero jacket the next evening.

My good friend Jane was kind enough to stop by last night to approve of a few things before I pack them. You can imagine how that sort of thing goes: 

"Does this dress make my ass look big?"
"No, it's not the dress that does it." 

Actually, Jane is too kind to be so frank, and she left me feeling confident and not at all bulbous in my new rags.

My family took a cruise two years ago with my mother, and we sailed through the Western Caribbean. We hit a bad storm a few days in and spent two days and nights rocking back and forth like we were sailing in a hammock. I remember waking up in the middle of the night having to hold onto the mattress to keep from rolling onto the floor, and the dresser drawers were opening and closing, and the bathroom door was slamming over and over. I managed to get to the door to latch it and then battened down for the ride.

There was a classic scene in the atrium one evening with everyone gussied up and ready for dinner but trying not to fall over. The gift shop was overflowing with people buying Dramamine, and when the ship would hit a larger wave that sounded like a giant pothole, somewhere a woman would scream. Through it all, a man in a tuxedo sat at a white grand piano and played peaceful music to keep everyone calm. He never missed a beat with tunes like Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise and Clair de Lune.

So, in honor of the event, here is my own raw rendition of Clair de Lune. If you're new here, this may need some explanation—I do not record my piano playing here because I think I'm recital ready. I do it because I like playing music I learned 30 years ago as a high school kid. I leave in the clunkers and the sloppy counting and the page turning.

Well, bon voyage, and I'll see you all in a few weeks, that is, of course, unless I manage to post a photo or story or something from the ship.

Comments

savannah said…
have a wonderful trip, sugar! i'm going to live vicariously thru you, so take a ton of pictures for your unseaworthy pal! xoxoxo
Shazza said…
Lucky you! Have a wonderful time!
dive said…
Beautifully played as ever, Robyn.

Hee hee hee for Jane!

Have a lovely time, both of you (I know you will). Take lots of photos for us and write as soon as you get back.
We'll all be waiting and gritting our teeth from jealousy.

Bon voyage!
Have a great time, take lots of pics!
Did you guys hit the lottery or something?
Madame DeFarge said…
Have a great time and look forward to hearing about it on your return.
RoverHaus said…
Can't wait to hear how it went!

From hearing your rendition, maybe you should kick the guy off of the piano if you run into any choppy water.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...