Skip to main content

Another Labor Day Concert

My orchestra performed another Labor Day concert this past weekend. This was their tenth, and I think I've played in at least eight of those—I have this idea I missed a few, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, it's a concert in the park with the cicadas in the trees and listeners on the lawn and stars in the sky, and it's lovely. We play pops sort of things with a few classical pieces, while the conductor, dressed in a white tuxedo jacket, leads us along.

Here is a snippet Husband captured from the Star Wars number—notice the cicadas underneath (or on top of) the orchestra:



This weekend, we performed a Haydn piece, William Tell Overture; theme pieces from Star Wars, Star Trek and Raiders of the Lost Arc; and more fun stuff like an original patriotic piece that is always moving, and an arrangement of Swing On A Star with the conductor singing. I'm a real sap for Going My Way and Barry Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby, so this is always a favorite of mine.

This upcoming orchestra season is going to feature The Planets by Gustav Holst spread out among the various concerts. And while the conductor was talking to the audience about that and stars and star gazing, I drifted off and remembered how I used to have a telescope of my own (note to the conductor: it's not that I wasn't listening to you. It's just that you reminded me of how I once went through a star gazing phase).

I had the telescope when Mars was particularly close to Earth, and I arranged to take my telescope to a house on the other side of the hill where there was a clear shot of the sky—in my own yard, I've got too many trees blocking the view, but from the other driveway, you could see for miles. I never quite learned how to use my telescope properly, but I was able to see Mars as a red ball in the sky, and I was amazed.

I don't have a telescope anymore, but I do have a little thing like a flashlight with stars from different hemispheres on attachments that you can switch out. I used it to figure out what was what from own back yard last summer, but now I have forgotten just about every constellation other than the Big Dipper.

I've read that playing music can trigger the brain to release dopamine, a mood-boosting hormone. I wasn't in a bad mood before the concert, but I can say clearly I was floating on my way home with the window rolled down and the moon full and yellow in the sky and Jupiter up there somewhere behind the clouds. I got home and poured a glass of white port shipped in from Sonoma, and I stood happy in the kitchen.

I don't currently have a glass of port in my hand, but if I did, I'd raise it and offer a toast to playing music with musicians better than me, to all the planets in the sky and to the end of summer. Sing with me—

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
everyday you see quite a few
so you see it's all up to you,
you could be better than you are
you could be swinging on a star.

Comments

dive said…
Wooohoo! At last, after years of nagging, we finally get to hear a snippet of you on the orchestra!
Excellent, Robyn! I could hear the horns (as well as the cicadas).

Next time, you'll have to leave a digital recorder beside the conductor's podium and give us more!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...