Skip to main content

500 Words VIII—Nervous Tension

I'm late with this week's assignment, but at least I've done it. This is the eighth installment of the fiction game in which Dive at Small Glass Planet (see sidebar) gives us a sentence from an existing book, and we write around it using no more than 500 words. The provided sentence is in italics.

Nervous Tension

John slipped down the hall toward the men’s room while I followed the hostess to the table. I sat down and began looking for some peace of mind and redemption on the menu. I let out an audible sigh of relief, scanned the room and waited for John to join me.  

I was reaching for my water glass when I heard a gruff voice that stood out from the other noises in the room. The tone and the language seemed incompatible with the surrounding finery, and the other dinner guests were noticing as well.

At the bar, a big man with a purple birthmark on his neck was methodically swilling Scotches through his rotted teeth, and talking to the police patrolman whom we had met the day before at Burnt Flat. The man, dirty and loud, was hunched over the bar with the officer standing next to him jotting down his statement.

I sank into my seat and quickly tried to hide behind the menu when the server arrived. “Good evening, Ma’am,” she said. “Are we expecting someone else this evening?”

“Yes, my husband will be here any minute,” I responded and looked around for John. Where was he, and why was he taking so long? I had crossed my right leg over my left, and my dangling foot seemed to bounce up and down with a mind of its own. I put both feet on the floor to steady myself and added, “He’s just gone to the men’s room. Would you mind bringing a wine list, please? And if you’ve got some bread,” I said, drumming my finger on the tabletop.

The server pointed out that I already had a wine list and was in fact looking at it. “Oh, I’m sorry, I thought I was looking at a dinner menu,” I tried to cover my nervousness and pretend as though I were reading through the list of wines. I couldn’t focus on the words and finally just blurted out, “Oh, I don’t know. Can you just bring us a bottle of Chianti, please?”

I kept a close eye on the officer at the bar and hoped he would not spot me at the table. I knew the statement I’d given yesterday about only witnessing the accident with the vagrant and not being involved was weak. I knew it was just a matter of time before it somehow caught up with me, and I would have to confess I had been the one who ran over the man and then drove away. I was just so afraid.

I looked around again for John as the officer walked toward my table. My heart was pounding inside my chest, and my throat was dry. Please, John. Please get here now. Don’t make me go through this alone, I whispered to no one.  The officer sat down at my table and said, “Excuse me, Mrs. Harrison, but I have just a few more questions to ask, if you don’t mind.”

 

 

 

Comments

dive said…
Yikes! That sounds all too real, Robyn! At least it sounds like Mrs. Harrison will be getting her just desserts (sorry, I can't resist puns).
Wonderful writing as always and you still got it in just before the deadline.
Katherine said…
Ah, what a tangled web we weave....

Thanks for pulling me into the action, Robyn! This piece gave me a nice visual.
MmeBenaut said…
Aha Robyn. Mrs Harrison has been up to no good.
As for the waiter and his "are WE expecting ..."; I had to chuckle at that one. I pictured a rather gay chap there.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...