Skip to main content

Wow. Who Knew?

Who knew that moving in to a new place with nothing but a few bags of clothes and some books would take so much time—and so many trips to Target. No. 1 spent her first night in her new place last night, and all she's got so far is a bed, an end table, and some lamps. We've also got the kitchen nearly set up with a toaster and coffee maker and some dishes.

I realize that an awful lot of people start out with folding lawn chairs for their furniture and eat off of paper plates, but as a graduation present, we have promised No. 1 a furnished living space. We found a great little couch at World Market with a couple of coordinating chairs which will fit just perfectly in her living room—they'll be delivered today. We found lamps at Home Depot, and all the little kitchen stuff at Target.

Some of the wooden pieces are coming from a great little store in Berkeley, like the dining table and chairs and these little occasional pieces that are painted rustically with shades of red and yellow—all of these things will arrive Friday. I'll show pictures later of the before-and-after effect.

The curtains left by the previous residents had been hung during the War of 1812, so we trashed them and will come up with another solution—the condo is on the second floor with big trees covering some of the windows, so we don't need to do too much.

Anyway, with everything that has to be done this week, we decided to pass on Yosemite. We'll still go to Sonoma tomorrow, but the rest of this trip is about transforming an empty space into a livable one. We'll have to save the tourist things for another visit.

Comments

savannah said…
i LOVE it! i'm supposed to go out to los angeles to help re-arrange supernana's apartment. she's been sending pictures so i'd have time to formulate a design! oh my! have fun, sugar! xoxoxo
dive said…
Wow! Lucky No.1, Robyn!

I hope you're all having a ball down there.
See you soon!
Shan said…
It all sounds so thrilling Robyn! I kinda wish I could go along with you with all those shopping trips involved. Sounds perfectly dreamy to me! I agree that #1 is one lucky young lady and I'm glad you are able to bless her with such a fun new start! Have a great time!
Mark said…
A boy would be easier, pretty sure. Just sayin.

It does sound like a fun time though.
Anonymous said…
Wow, it’s looking amazing, good product!! You can find more designer Dining Chairs Sets here…..
I only wish my boys would let me IN! he he boys are a bit different. They're both pretty organised, but in their own way. Students in the UK start off in one room with bathroom attached if they're lucky. Following year, they're expected to find a house share. It's all pretty basic, with about 8 others in the house, no-one seems to want to wash up. One of my sons is quite fussy and hates that part of it. Convinced his housemates to hire a cleaner once a week for two hours, they pay very little each and it gets done! At least, he says, some of the time, he gets to cook in a clean kitchen without scrubbing the place down first. It's kind of accepted over here that in student years, you share and standards are not great. Students have to pay for their fees £3000 p.a. so accommodation has to come second.

No. 1 sounds very lucky and if I had the resources, I'd be doing exactly the same as you are Robyn! A lovely thing to do and I bet you're enjoying it; I would be!
RoverHaus said…
I love World Market...and curtains from 1812!

They both sort of have the same origins if you think about it.

Safe journey!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...