Skip to main content

Wildlife Invasion

Small Town has a river running through it, the Tuscarawas River named after a tribe that lived here until the Europeans arrived. It claims a life now and then when people forget how powerful its undercurrents are, and sometimes it floods low-lying land. Well, now it's home to an alligator or possibly two. It's my guess some moron bought a baby alligator thinking it was cute, but when it got bigger and less cute, they released it in the river. And now authorities are trying to catch it before it gets bigger and takes somebody's leg.

While the search goes on, I suspect there will be lots of sightings and people will have fun with this story. Small Town likes its elusive wildlife.

We once had a couger running loose, and just when the story would die down, somebody would call in to say they spotted it in their backyard or out the woods. We've had black bear sightings, some caught on camera and some just reported. And we've got Big Foot, too, with a society devoted to finding one and proving to the rest of the world that the members of the group really aren't fools.

I hope our next wildlife sighting will be an elephant escaped from the circus, or maybe a giraffe or something like that three-foot worm that's harassing farmers in Idaho. Then we'd all have some real stories to tell.

The photo is borrowed from Small Town Newspaper and taken by Jim Cummings.

UPDATE: the little baby gator was caught, so no fun sightings in store for Small Town.

Comments

dive said…
Wooohoo!
Get on down to the creek with a big net, Robyn, and catch yourself a nice pair of shoes.
savannah said…
a little further on down the road from here, people are dealing with pythons and boa constrictors for the same reason! people dump the big ones into the water ways. but seriously, could gators really survive an ohio winter? ;~D xoxox
debra said…
Would an alligator survive Ohio's winters? Our town, Peninsula, has had the python legend for over 50 years...
We even have a festival.
kyle@sift said…
It frightens me how many people want to see the alligator/s killed. Small Town has no respect for life.
Alligators are very afraid of humans (as well they should be). This animal could easily be caught and released in a habitat more conducive to reptilian bliss.
Gosh that's a bit alarming. I was watching last night the excellent Stephen Fry in America and he was vaguely in your region and yes, was interviewing someone about Big Foot. The chap was sincere and really believed it and Stephen politely took it all in. As he left, he said to the camera he decided there was as much chance of meeting a yeti type figure in the woods as there was of him playing in the Cup Final. I guess it's funnier if you know him.... ;)
Scout said…
Dive, you ought to be ashamed.

Savannah and Debra, Yeah, I wonder if an alligator can survive an Ohio winter. But then they're an adaptable prehistoric species, so maybe they can.

Debra, is that Peninsula, Ohio?

Kyle, I think people are just scared. They aren't really being brutal, are they?

Lynn, this seems like such an odd place for Big Foot. It's not the wilderness or mountains. We've just got some woods and a few rivers.
MmeBenaut said…
That alligator looks tiny to me. We have huge saltwater crocodiles all through the north of Australia. None down where we live, fortunately.
Don't you just love those stories of sightings? It's a bit like the fox I saw just outside our front door at 4 in the morning last year. I swear no-one believes me. Ha ha.
We have sightings of black panthers in Gloucestershire! Anyone interested? Thought not. No seriously - we do!!

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...