Skip to main content

It Was A Game Show!

Last Saturday morning, I had to be someplace for a story while the rest of the family stayed at home doing Saturday things—sleeping late, cleaning out cars, watching TV, eating eggs. On my way home, sometime around 11:30, I called the house to see if anyone had devised a lunch plan. I wondered if they would want me to pick something up or had they decided to go out.

I let the phone ring a few times until it was clear no one was going to answer, and I pushed the red "end call" button on my iPhone and set the phone in the cup holder of my car. I drove along listening to NPR, which at the time of a Saturday morning was playing Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me. It's a fantastic game show that quizzes people on the oddities and details of the week's news headline.

The show airs out of Chicago and features people like Peter Sagal, Carl Kasell, Mo Rocca and Paula Poundstone. Listeners call in to answer questions about the news, and winners can have Carl Kasell record the message on their answering machine. Who wouldn't love a show like that?

If I were to play the show for real, I might not win the recording, especially if I hadn't paid attention to the news the week before, but I do enjoy playing along with the radio.

I talk to myself in the car, and you do, too. Admit it. You don't just yell at the jerk drivers around you who don't use their turn signals or who spit out the window or who have their bass turned up too high and rattle your windows when they're stopped behind you at a red light. You think out loud, you remind yourself of things on your to-do list and you answer questions asked on Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me.

I did that on my way home last Saturday, and I confess I raised my voice when I knew the answers, and the contestant didn't. For some reason, I think that if I shout, the person on the air will hear me and win the prize. I want everyone to win.

Later, in the afternoon after we had all had lunch, Eustacia noticed the message light blinking on the phone and called in to hear the message. She looked puzzled as she was listening to it, and she said that it sounded like a football game or something, and how weird, it sounds like Mom.

I knew immediately what had happened. As I ran toward her in order wrench the phone from her hands, I yelled, "It was a game show!!" Evidently, I only thought I had pushed the "end call" button but really I had recorded my entire participation in Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me as I drove from one end of town to the other.

The quick-thinking Eustacia, recognizing she had struck gold, saved the message and hung up the phone before I could get to it. While the family discussed ways to retrieve the message and post it on Facebook for all the world to hear, I had to sneak around the corner, get to the stupid thing and delete it. I made sure to push the right button this time.

Be honest. Has this ever happened to you?

Comments

Shan said…
Ha Ha! Like the picture. I don't think I've done this but my hubby sure did a couple weeks ago. Our littlest boy rode with him to Taco Bell on yard sale day and J called by mistake while ordering and had to scold the youngster the whole time on the record. I laughed to myself because our D was on fire that day in the naughty department and J is usually the more patient of the two of us. I got him on tape using a (slightly) raised voice. Oh the scandal! :P
savannah said…
i think pleading the 5th is more than appropriate right now, sugar... oxxoox
dive said…
Hee hee hee, Robyn!
I would SO love to have heard that!

I'm a huge fan of Wait, Wait …
I play the podcasts on my train journey and disturb people by laughing hysterically.
LOL! Hilarious. I almost wish you hadn't got to that button. Sorry. I feel ashamed but would love to hear it. Yes I do talk to myself in the car. I have no idea how you knew, but you're right. My best plans are made then, my head's in order and the day or night mapped out.
I also raise my voice, only a little, at quizzes. My, but it's a sharing day here at Just Sayin'.
I just remembered, I had a call once from an ex boyfriend and, as I answered it, realised he'd pressed my button by mistake. I heard him talk away whilst trying to shout to him to get his attention to no avail. Then, I started to listen. I could pick out all the words. Know what I heard? Him chatting up some girl. Oh yes. Telling her his life history, where he could be reached, when he was free, etc.
We had words about it naturally, and I forgave him. I shouldn't have, but we did spend 6 mostly happy years together afterwards. Maybe I should have left there and then though, saved all that time. Pah! Now I'm pondering.........;)

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...