Skip to main content

Happy Fourth of July

Small Town Next Door has a festival going on, and I'll be covering some of the morning events for the paper, which is honestly not my strong point. My goal will be to get all the names spelled correctly. And then my big fat summer band will be giving a concert in the park in the evening. Assuming the weather holds up, it should be a fine night even if we do have to play "God Bless the USA." I can't help but think of the film "Wag the Dog" when I hear that thing, and I continue to be amazed when the audience stands for it as if it were the national anthem. Sit down!

Beyond that, the family will be leisurely and possibly spend some time at the lake and probably will not talk about things patriotic. Honestly, even if you privately feel a renewed sense of patriotism on July 4th, how often do you spend the day waving the flag figuratively or literally?

It is a notable day for reasons other than our nation's independence from the grubby king, after all. Nathaniel Hawthorne was born on this day, as was Stephen Foster, Calvin Coolidge, Louis B. Mayer, Neil Simon and Ann Landers and her sister Abigail Van Buren.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on this day in 1826. James Monroe died on July 4 a few years later. And then there was Eva Gabor, Charles Kuralt, Barry White and Bob Ross the soft-spoken painter who made happy trees all dying on this day in history.

On this day in 1845, Thoreau began his experiment at Walden Pond. And in 1939, Lou Gerig bid farewell to the Yankees, saying "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

Patriotism, or no patriotism, flag waving or no flag waving, stinking God Bless the USA or no—it's a big day. Personally, I do feel patriotic on this day, and I'm a huge sap for fireworks and the National Anthem. So, happy Fourth of July, and happy birthday to Koko the sign-language gorilla who loves kittens.

Comments

savannah said…
happy 4th! here's to ecards and sharp pencils, sugar! ;~D xoxox
dive said…
Happy Independence Day, Robyn!

Have a great concert tonight, whether people stand up or not.
kyle@sift said…
I think today, most of all, is a time of reflection. I have been thinking about our overweight nation of hypocrites divided and not united by the red and the blue, joyfully releasing symbolic bombs and rudely saying to England, "go to hell".
We don't need special days to feel patriotic, we need a sense of pride in who we are and what we do. I know individuals who fit the bill but as a nation we have a long way to go.
Scout said…
I don't think we're saying "go to hell" to England. I think we're saying, "look what we did." We set out to be independent, and we did, and we've been as successful as any other country and holding ourselves together in one unit, red AND blue together.
he he you are funny, Robyn. Love the 'Sit down!' lol. Happy 4th July dear Robyn, have a great time. Get their ages too. Our Editors insist on it, does yours?

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...