Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary

As of today, Husband and I have been married for 25 years. This summer is all about sorting out the issues of college students, though, so we'll keep today's celebration down to dinner. And then in the fall, we'll go adventuring on a Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Mary.

We didn't have very much money 25 years ago, which is how all couples should start out, I think, and we paid for most of the wedding ourselves. I bought the dress for $400 and the hat for $15, we bought some flowers for around $375, ordered a cake and hired a photographer who was something like 125 years old.

A sister-in-law was an attendant, and one of my sisters was the maid of honor. The poor old photographer forgot to get a shot of my sister walking down the aisle, so my mother took matters into her firm hands and twisted. She badgered the photographer and his sickly wife for weeks until the man agreed to take a different photo of my sister, cut out the head, and paste it onto the body of the sister-in-law and then print out another proof for the photo album. The man's wife got hives from the whole ordeal and worried herself sick.

Anyway, the church pianist played the piano, and my sisters sang—"Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms" was their duet—and my brother-in-law performed the ceremony.

The wedding was in my parents' church, and the reception was in their front yard with neighbors contributing picnic tables and chairs. There was no music at the reception and certainly no dancing, and my mother made most of the food. After a couple of days in Chicago, we packed up a U-Haul and moved to Ridgewood, New Jersey where we started our lives from scratch.

Comments

Congratulations Robyn and.. husband (wish I knew your name, seems rude!)!!! How lovely. That's a gorgeous photo, the old guy managed to get a record and that's the main thing. Robyn you look so delicate and pretty and Husband so handsome!

Enjoy your celebrations - they sound lengthy and exciting!
pf said…
Happy Signifcant Anniversary, Robyn and Tim!!
Love you guys :)
Shazza said…
Happy Anniversary to you both! Here's to 25 more!
savannah said…
congratulations, sugarpies! i wish y'all many more grand years together! xoxox
Shan said…
Yes Congrats to you both!! That's actually a very long time in today's standard isn't it? I love how you look like Eustacia and hubby looks like daughter #1. That is a good picture. It's funny when I think back at my wedding and how young and naive we were. I like that you and Tim struck out bravely on your own. You've made quite a life together to be sure! Many more!
Pat said…
If the photo is anything to go by that was a most charming wedding.
Many congratulations and may you have many more.
Savannah sent me.
mapstew said…
My friend Savvy sent me. Wishing you both a happy Silver Wedding Anniversary.

(No music or dancing? That's me out of a job!)
mark said…
Cheers to both of you. May you have another 25 years and more together. Enjoy your trip.
Eryl said…
I came via Savannah to wish you many congratulations on your anniversary. My 25th is coming up too, there aren't so many of us around who have lasted so long. Your wedding looks like it was a lot prettier than mine!
Happy anniversary, Robyn on 25 years of marital bliss!!! :)

I had a mustache like your hubby's back in 1984 - it looked more like a catapillar. My first marriage took place about a year after yours.
Scout said…
Thanks, everybody! and welcome to all the newbies who came here from Savannah's.
dive said…
Wow, Robyn!
Many, many congratulations!

I love the story of the wedding.
You've certainly come a long way in the past quarter of a century … just look at Daughter 1 about to start at Berkeley and Daughter 2 in college. Sheesh!

And now that the girls are "all growed up" you're playing in the orchestra and writing for your paper and you must be about the busiest person I know of. Hee hee.

I wonder what the next twenty five years will bring?
Whatever you get up to I hope it rains happiness on you.

Happy anniversary to you both!
xx
eroswings said…
I came via Savannah to wish you Congratulations on a long and wonderful union. Best wishes for many more happy years!

You'll both luv the Mediterranean. Take lots of pictures and enjoy your time together on your journey in life.
Madame DeFarge said…
Congrats to you both. Savvy is sending us all over in a flurry of wonderfulness. My husband and I are still beginners at 10 years this year.
Congrats!
You certianly were not like the bridzilla's of today.
Jodi said…
Many congrats from Maine.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...