Skip to main content

Floating on the Pavane



Yep, it's another piano recording, with me sitting at my piano and reminiscing by playing things I learned in high school. Because high school was a long time ago, I'm rusty with the stuff—really rusty. I enjoy playing it anyway, so here is something I learned at the age of 16 or so—Ravel's "Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte," or Pavane for a Dead Princess. The story goes it wasn't really written for a dead princess—the words just sound nice together, and Ravel was thinking of a specific still-living Spanish princess when he was composing.

This piece is significant to me not just because it helped me get through the angst of the teenage years, but because it has appeared and reappeared in my horn playing. Over two years ago, I posted a story about learning to play the horn—here is an excerpt of that story:

while in high school—"I showed up on the first day of school ready for the 'learners band,' because I was starting over. It wasn’t long before Mr. Castronova had us playing such moving pieces as 'Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte,' which was already one of my favorite compositions, even before I knew that the orchestration featured the horn. I remember playing my part boldly, in my head singing the melodies that I had learned on the piano. It was during that rehearsal that the directors decided I was ready for the wind ensemble, ready to play with more experienced students."

When I started taking horn lessons in my late 30s, my teacher showed up with a solo book and suggested I start learning a new song. He put the book on my stand and opened it up to the song he had in mind, and to my surprise, he thought I should work on Pavane. I had plenty to learn about it as far as playing the horn went, but I already had the thing well-embedded in my head and in my heart.

When I play it on the piano, I get lost in it, and I don't bother to count, and I miss notes here and there, not to mention rhythms and notations. But then I don't play for performance—I play as a kind of personal flotation device.

Comments

dive said…
Simply gorgeous, Robyn.
A personal flotation device is a wonderful thing when you can share it with others (though you should really employ Eustacia as a page-turner).

By the way, sorry to be pedantic (something you know is simply a lie … hee hee), but infante is prince; infanta is princess.

It's still gorgeous, even knowing that. And high school is never long ago or far away when you can do things like this.
Scout said…
Be pedantic if you must, Dive, but this is how my music reads, so I'll leave it alone.

I'm glad you liked the mess, though. I'll look for other songs to float on.
'Personal flotation' - perfect. Lovely, Robyn!
MmeBenaut said…
What a beautiful form of escape; especially floating which has to be the next best thing to downhill skiing.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...