Skip to main content

No. 1—The Graduate

Daughter No. 1 graduated from The Ohio State University on Sunday with a chemistry and philosophy major(s), and we were privileged enough to witness the whole thing.

OSU is a monster of a school, and this year they graduated over 8,000 students all at once. They thought they might have set a record. It took 35 minutes for all of the graduates to parade into the stadium, and once they were seated, they looked like this, although not all of them fit into the shot:

John Glenn was the key note speaker—Ohio loves its John Glenn—and he had wise words for the students about pursuing life with a "why not" attitude, not limiting themselves with self-doubt and apathy.

Here is No. 1 receiving her diploma from the dean of her college:

Here she is with her extremely proud mother:

And here she is as a wide-eyed two-year-old girl giving her mother a kiss:

Comments

savannah said…
CONGRATULATIONS #1! All the best to you now and always, sugar! What a wonderful weekend all y'all had. xoxox
pf said…
Now why did you have to go and post this and make me cry so early this morning...Huh?
Beautiful pics!
dive said…
Woohoo!

What a great day, Robyn.
Many congratulations to Daughter No1 (and her mom, of course).

You look justifiably proud.
Nice to see your nose keeping Eustacia company in the first photo.
And what a fantastic guest speaker.
Splendid!
Oh that's fantastic, No. 1! Well done. Great pics but the last one broke my heart. In a good way. :)
MmeBenaut said…
Oh how wonderful. Congratulations daughter # 1 and to you too Robyn for giving birth to another genius!

I have to say that from this distance, she is the spitting image of her Mama.

I'll be waiting now with baited breath to find out the next step in her life - the new career somewhere in the world. Chem & Philosophy are a very good mix so the job will be very, very interesting.

Well done & bravo you too.
Alifan said…
Congratulations indeed to both of you, what great photo's...

You are looking good Robyn ....when are you coming over here again??????
Shan said…
What an accomplishment that is! Great job #1! I can't believe the size of that school. It is even more impressive to me that she could get through it in such a crowd of people. I went to the University of Oklahoma for my fourth year of college and got so lost in the masses I didn't do well at all.

Best to you as you start the next phase in Cali!!

Oh, and that last picture totally got me teary as well. I'll admit it since pf did. ;) Sweet and wonderful moments. XO's
Scout said…
Thank you, everyone. I should say that Husband was there as well and due equal credit. I just didn't like me in the photo of the three of us together.
They say John Glen is a little whacky from too much space travel.

Congrats to # 1 and to you too, robyn.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...