Skip to main content

What Do You Mean You Don't Care About My Blog?!

Yesterday I went to English class for immigrants, and I helped out with a few projects—we discussed how to read through the want ads and sort through garage sale ads in the paper. We talked about all the great things we'll find at the new farm market opening in June. I administered two spelling tests. And we talked about rhubarb, which apparently doesn't exist in Central America. It was an eventful morning.

In the middle of all of it, I caught sight of the T-shirt one of the Guatemalan women was wearing. It was emblazoned with the phrase—"I don't care about your blog."

I'm sorry. What? You don't care about my blog? Are you telling me this thing filled with my personal photos and stories and ideas and general word vomit doesn't interest you? I'm crushed by such blanket rejection.

I decided this woman was wearing the shirt not because she was fed up with bloggers forcing her to listen to them go on and on about their online rambling, but because it was cheap or even free. I suspected, given her experiences here so far, that she probably didn't know what "blog" means, so I didn't take offense. I probably wouldn't have taken offense even if she had intentionally worn the shirt because I know bloggers can become overexcited when they start talking about their stories or the people they have met or the new widget they've just added to their sidebar. Not that I would ever do that.

My suspicions were confirmed a few minutes later when I saw the woman with the shirt stretch it out so the other women could read it, and one of them was flipping through the Spanish/English dictionary. I asked if they were looking up the word "blog," and they giggled as if they'd been caught at something and then asked what it means.

Well, don't worry, ladies. Not only can I tell you, but I can show you. I quickly pulled out my iPhone and went straight to my blog. I equated it to a diary or scrapbook and then proceeded to make them look at pictures of my daughters and of my cats. I told them all about how you can read blogs (web logs) written by people all over the world and leave comments on their stories, and sometimes they'll leave comments on yours. I scrolled down to show them my recent posts and said, "See, you can write all kinds of stuff and keep it all in one place." blah blah blah blah blah

So, go ahead. Tell me again that you don't care about my blog, and see what happens. Next, try telling me you don't care about the jazz piece I'm trying to learn for horn lessons or how hard it is for me to count, and suggest you'd rather not hear about how I prefer wild-caught salmon to farm-raised and why I have formed that opinion?

Tell me you don't care about something. I'll give you something to care about. I've got your not caring right here.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Remember when we talked about people in Africa wearing a Clevland Indians T-Shirt? She probably aquired it through the t-shirt recycling business.
I bet she WOULD care about your blog if she read it every day!There is much to care about.
I saw someone wearing a T shirt that read: "I don't care that you don't speak English"
LOL marvellous, Robyn! I bet they're converts and, if they get the chance, they'll be looking again.
Shazza said…
You go girl...tell em!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.