Skip to main content

Scary Music on the Stand

I'm taking a brief break from horn lessons while my teacher vacations in Florida and does whatever else he does when he isn't teaching, but while I'm waiting for a lesson in June, I am supposed to be buying new music. The man didn't tell me what, exactly—he just said to go buy stuff.

I found a list of essential pieces every horn player at a certain skill level should know, and I chose three things pretty much sight unseen. Well, one of them arrived just yesterday, and I'm thinking I overshot my skill level. Holy moly.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been playing through things I keep on my music stand all the time—Strauss' Nocturno because it's beautiful, Vinter's Hunter's Moon because it's spritely and an emotional antidote to the Nocturno, the Beethoven sonata, Mozart concertos and other things I enjoy playing even if I will not allow anyone else to listen in. On some level, I can handle the notes and rhythms and tempos (sort of) on every piece in the collection, but now I've contaminated my stash with something new that looks daunting.

I have Gabelles' Concertino, and when I look at the first page, I see too much black and not enough white on the paper. It's got lots of sixteenth notes and notations I'll have to look up, and it's all so unfamiliar. I'm considering sticking this thing at the back of my stack of music and not telling my teacher I bought it. What Concertino?

Or maybe I should just suck it up, accept the challenge and chip away at the stupid thing one measure at a time. Sometimes after I hear a recording of a piece that seems intimidating on the surface, it suddenly sounds less unapproachable, so I suppose I should look for it on iTunes. I'm hoping the other things I ordered won't be so difficult, but then I won't be pushed as much as I need to be pushed, and I won't learn as much as I need to learn.

It's a conundrum. Should I hide the scary music or face it head on?

Afternoon update: OK, so it's not quite as bad as I thought. (feeling sheepish) Who would have thought a metronome would help?

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Face it head on! No doubt about it.
Shan said…
Ditto what Kyle said. This IS YOU we're talking about right. I have full confidence.
Magpie said…
Good luck with it!
Burn it and never mention it again.
Scout said…
Kyle, but it's hard.

Shan, I'm just looking at it and thinking I should give it away.

Magpie, thanks.

Richard, you're supposed to provide brass-playing support! I'm surprised at you.
kyle@sift said…
They're just notes. You can do it. Mary Had a Little Lamb was difficult when you first played it, right?
'too much black' lol.... Just take a little black at a time, I would, perfect that, feel pleased with it and move on to the next tiny bit of black. :)

Popular posts from this blog

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...