Skip to main content

Memorial Day Memoria

I suspect "memoria*" is not an actual word, but I like the sound of it.

I should be outside enjoying this beautiful weather, but I'm feeling slightly puny, as my mother would say, with a slight headache and general malaise. So, instead of sitting out in the sunshine with the butterflies, I am inside watching Band of Brothers on the History Channel. Even the theme song speaks to me.

When I was in college, I interviewed my father for a writing assignment. We discussed his experiences as a soldier in WW II, and he told stories I had never heard before. I found the resulting paper just a few days ago, and I have copied a few excerpts below in honor of my father and the Greatest Generation and Memorial Day.

"While staying in a small village in England, Alabama-born Elmer Wells and a few other U.S. soldiers visited the home of the local mayor. While waiting in the high-ceilinged parlor, Elmer sat in a straight-backed chair, his friends standing around him. Near the chair was a simple, round stand that held a bowl of fresh fruit and a shiny brass snuff box. Elmer mistook the box for an ash tray and consequently dropped ashes in it from his cigarette. A few moments later, the mayor came into the parlor, greeted his guests, and took a pinchi of what he believed to be snuff. He sniffed it and never knew what it was, despite shocked looks from the soldiers."

"From North Africa, Elmer was sent to Italy with the rest of the troops. They landed in Naples with hopes of driving out German forces. They went as far as the monastery on Monte Cassino but were forced back. From there, they went by ship to Anzio, and with the help of paratroopers, they were able to push the Germans back to Rome.

"Following the victory at Anzio, Elmer was part of a group of soldiers invited to dinner by a thankful Italian family. The soldiers brought shortening to fry rabbits; and the family served spaghetti, parakeets, snow birds and sparrows. Although Elmer wouldn't eat the small birds, he took home with him the memory fo a warm welcome."

*Turns out it IS a word. It's Latin and means memory.

Comments

Yes I was going to say it's Latin.

How interesting, Robyn. Reminded me of that tv series in the seventies was it? We'll Meet Again or something? Great. There was an Elmer in that.

Do you know which village your father stayed in, in England? I'd love to know. If it's near me, I'll go and photograph it for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...