I know I'm supposed to be thinking about Easter and all that, but I was irked when I wrote THIS. Next week, I think we'll discuss the Angela Merkel Barbie.
It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...
Comments
Never mind what the wives were dressed in, what us fashion-conscious men really need to know is what Angela Merkel's husband wore.
Hee hee.
I write about fashion. I attend the big fashion shows and know designers, manufacturers and publicists. It's an important business that supports a lot of people. One designer I know has supported a group of twenty seamstresses for years.
So to toss it off as "fluff," is really missing an important point. American fashion --indeed fashion houses in general is hurting. Furthermore there is tremendous talent here in the U.S. and I think it deserves to be showcased.
Michelle Obama can be a great beacon for American fashion and --if she plays her cards right, fashion made here by American workers, and also fashion made of sustainable fabrics.
Yours,
The Literary Fashionista