Skip to main content

Zippity Doo Dah

In case you were wondering, it's a pleasant 80-plus degrees in Orlando and perfectly lovely. Normally I would have temperatures above 70 or so, but this isn't so bad—low humidity and nice breezes. Yesterday, we were sitting in Fantasy Land having a pleasant lunch, and Eustacia looked up at the blue skies and said, "Even the sky is happy here." That's Eustacia.

My only regret at the magic kingdom yesterday was that we only got to ride Peter Pan's Flight once, but we've got a few more days, so we might take the ferry over to the Magic Kingdom one evening and give it another shot when the line is shorter. We only rode It's A Small World twice (hee hee), and though I know once would be more than enough for a lot of people, I find the thing mesmerizing. Here is a photo of Don Quixote challenging the evil wind mill.

While going through the Haunted Mansion on those weird black cars that revolve around, the ride broke down for a few minutes. We happened to be in the cemetery at the time, and our car was facing the grave digger and his emaciated dog that whimpers. Howling ghosts were shooting up to the "sky," and this ghoul kept saying that playful ghosts had caused a slight delay. That went on for several minutes before we finally got moving again, and I was a little disappointed. I wondered what it would be like if they couldn't get it going again, and we all had to walk through the graves and talking ghosts to find the exit.

This is Eustacia in Mickey's house, not being bothered by having to spend spring break with her mom.

Today, off to EPCOT with dinner in France.

Comments

Kimberly Wright said…
Almost every time I ride the Huanted Mansion ride it breaks down. It gives me time tho to look at all the cool things and look for hidden mickeys. Depending on where your car was when it stalled, there is hidden mickey on one of the headstones.
dive said…
Sounds like you;'re both having a wonderful time, Robyn.
Yay!
Take lots of pictures for us.
And "grave dinner" is a splendid typo! Hee hee.
Great time you're having! So Eustacia you said hello to Mickey for me, I see.
Maria said…
Liv was finally able to go to Disneyland with her father last year after begging me for years to go.

And she didn't like it! She came home and Tinton told me that he thought she was a bit overwhelmed by it. She agreed. She said it made her feel frantic.

I have a very strange child.
Scout said…
Sheesh. Typo fixed.
dive said…
Hee hee!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...