Skip to main content

Wrapping Up Disney

OK, this will be the final post about Disney, and then I'll drop it. I promise. Dive made a good point—not everyone knows what the place looks like, so I've got a few pictures. First, I want to explain how we arranged for the trip.

I planned it through AAA, which gave us a package deal that I paid for ahead of time. It included hotel (Wilderness Lodge) and a meal plan that gave us so many snacks, quick-service meals and table-service meals. It's a good deal because some of the table-service meals can be pretty pricey, while others are reasonable. It all balances out in the end and is a cheaper than paying per meal. Disney had a promotion when I made the reservations that included a $200 gift card to cover souvenirs and stuff not included in the meal plan like wine and appetizers. And because we stayed more than four nights, we got the fifth night free.

I chose the Wilderness Lodge because it's on the lake beside Magic Kingdom, and you can take a ferry boat to get there instead of having to hop on a bus or the monorail. I also love the feel of the place and the music that plays in the lobby—lots of great horn lines in songs like How the West Was Won and Magnificent Seven. Here is the lobby as seen from our floor:

and the huge fireplace on the main floor:

and the hotel as seen from the back:

The focal point of the Magic Kingdom is Cinderella's Castle, and all the "lands" branch out from there. There is a restaurant in this castle—reservations have to be made at least six months in advance.

At night, there are fireworks timed to music and a typical story of good vs. evil.

On this trip, we went to the Animal Kingdom park where we had never been before except for a quick visit with the marching band a couple of years ago. We explored this time and went on a "safari" where a driver takes you through a big open range. The animals are sort of free to roam, so if they choose to hide, you're out of luck. Among many things, we saw elephants. I'd show you all the other photos, but that would be just too dull.

The park employees perform a parade every afternoon that has some ingenious contraptions. This guy was our favorite—it was a hot day, and we caught him at the end of the parade.

We also spent some time at Disney's Hollywood Studios park, which used to be called MGM Studios. By far the highlight was a new attraction based on Toy Story. Disney is masterful at herding people, and the waiting area for this ride was one of their best, filled with giant versions of classic toys.

Inside, you ride these rotating carts equipped with pretend paint guns that shoot "paint balls" at arcade screens with Toy Story characters either encouraging you or taunting you, it's sometimes hard to tell. And you wear 3D glasses to make it all seem more real. It was a great sensory experience and impressively creative.

For dinner, we did something pretty campy—we ate at a drive-in restaurant where you sit in a convertible and watch '50s cartoons and trailers from classic sci-fi movies like Attack of the 50-Foot Woman. It was weird and fun and nostalgic all at once.

To wrap it up, here is the partner photo to the one I posted the other day of Eustacia taking a photo of me in "Paris." This is me taking a photo of her at the same time (no face paint on the mom).

And this is mother and daughter sporting our snazzy Mickey hats. Eustacia's is a classic, and mine is the original Steamboat Willie.

The end.

Comments

dive said…
That sounds like a great deal you got, Robyn. The hotel is fabulous! Totally insane architecture but very Disney. I love those lamps. And that scary little kid in red holding up the central column.

Thank you for posting photos of you and Eustacia instead of all touristy shots (though the fireworks display looks amazing). The two of you look so cute together in front of the castle.

That drive-in restaurant looks awesome! I love the thought of watching cheesy B-movies while sitting there. They should franchise that over here; I'd certainly go and eat there.

The shadows photo is wonderful! I've never seen a three-eared Mickey hat before! Hee hee.
Fantastic post, Robyn. Thank you.
Ha! I love the end photo. Lovely hotel. Though, if I were there without my boys, I'd have preferred to spend my time in that pool. Did you swim much?

I'd go to the drive in too Dive if it was here. Shall we start it up ourselves? :)

Glad you had such a great time, you girls. xx
Sassy Sundry said…
great pictures, robyn! glad you had fun!
Anonymous said…
Great pics, Robyn!! So creative :) Reminds me of band trips...ahhh! Welcome home...and is Eustacia back at school now?

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...