Skip to main content

Turning the Page

More people than I could possibly count without losing track have lost their jobs in this sucky economic situation. Well, not to be insensitive to the plight of the unemployed, but I have quit my job. Yep, voluntarily gave it up.

I have been a graphic designer since Eustacia, now 18, was three months old. No. 1 was three, and we were spending our days governed by snack time and nap time and Baby Beluga. I remember the day Husband called from work and asked if I'd like a job—it's something new—it's called desktop publishing. I learned to use a computer and a mouse and everything Adobe could come up with. Well, not quite everything because I stopped at web design.

Through everything that happens to people—the death of my father, the ups and downs of the economy, the growing up of our children, the growing up of me—I have designed book covers and catalogs and CD packaging, and that mouse I hardly knew what to do with 18 years ago has become an extension of my right hand.

But enough is enough, I say. I went from loving the job to hating it, from jumping into a publishing list to see what I could do with it to falling down into it and banging my head against the wall with each new title.

The average modern American changes jobs over a dozen times in a lifetime and changes careers three or four times. Being a graphic designer was my first long-term career, so now I guess here comes number two. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I'm hoping it will involve something I really enjoy doing and something I think I'm good at. Maybe it won't be just one thing but will simply be more of what my days are governed by now—horn playing time, lesson time, English class time, writing time and just breathing time.

So, here's to the next chapter or the next page or whatever is next.

Comments

Well done you! If you have the choice, there is no point doing what you don't enjoy anymore.

Here's to more writing, for leisure and purpose.

Er... can I have your old job? ;)
dive said…
It's probably just as well you quit your official job, Robyn, because with all the other work you do you couldn't have had time to eat or sleep!
Have a great time next week, by the way!
Shan said…
Wow! Well, congratulations on the closing of another era in your life. And the good thing about that job is that you can always use those skills in other ways. You are one of those ever evolving ever creating people that will always be interesting no matter what you are doing. :)
Sassy Sundry said…
Cheers! Welcome to UnemployedLand!
Shazza said…
Best of luck on your new page Robyn!

Love the new hat!
Lulubelle B said…
Best of Luck as you start your new chapter.

Is that an Easter bonnet? Could also be Mouse Ears. Just wondering...
MmeBenaut said…
I can so easily empathise with you Robyn and went through a similar process a few years ago. Although I was forced into it by "retirement on medical grounds" and moved from a high salary to an invalid pension, what I thought would be tough was actually a blessing and now my life is so full that I don't know how I ever had the time to work! Your life is full too, with writing and creating jewellry and artwork and other imaginative bits and pieces. Enjoy this time and especially your week with Eustacia. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...