Skip to main content

More Pottery and Bread

Before our trip to Maine, No. 1 and I paid a visit to the potter, and I discovered his new bread baker. It makes baguettes, and I couldn't resist. I tried it out this past weekend, and the bread was a success. It turns out to be perfect for sandwiches or croutons or just as a snack with a thin layer of cream cheese and a slathering of pumpkin butter. The only problem I can see is that I should have bought two. The bakers are kind of small, and most bread recipes make enough for two loaves. I guess that means I have to go back to the shop. Darn it.

Here is the recipe I used:

French Bread

1 1/4 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten

Pour warm water into a large bowl and sprinkle yeast and sugar over top. Stir and let rest 10 minutes. Stir in salt and flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until mixture forms a soft dough. Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover with a tea towel in a warm place to rise for at least 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Generously grease a loaf pan—or a beautiful piece of local pottery. Punch down dough, shape, and place in pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Slash top diagonally in two or three places and brush with egg. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Bread will make a hollow sound when tapped.

Note: this is plenty for one loaf pan, but for baguette pans, it makes two loaves.

Comments

dive said…
Oooooh!
Gosh, that looks so crunchably yummy, Robyn!
kyle said…
I love the potter's bread pans. We'll have to swap loaves some time. I love to make bread...sans groovy hand made pottery but it's still pretty good.
Scout said…
Dive, I made another couple of loaves without the egg wash and think it's just as crunchy and yummy.

Kyle, I've just started making bread thanks to my very cool pottery things. I'm just beginning to figure it out.
Anonymous said…
I want one!
Shazza said…
Thank you for the recipe!

Bread is one of my favorite things to bake. The whole kneading process is very therapeutic for me and the end result is just heavenly!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...