Skip to main content

Maine Wrapped Up

I am SO out of vacation mode now after taking two nearly back to back trips, but I've got a few stray photos left over from this past week. First up, the Portland Head Light. This was just a short drive across a bridge and across an island from Portland. Very near the lighthouse was a plaque explaining that Longfellow used to walk to this place for inspiration. He knew the light keeper and liked to sit here and write. Longfellow's house is in the art district in Portland, as is a statue and museum.

The lighthouse was beautiful, but right next door was something that looked a little more...well, sinister. We thought it was the remains of a fort, but there were no signs around it. The roof is missing, making the walls dangerous, I suppose, so all entrances were gated off. It just seemed abandoned and the perfect place for something bad to happen. Creepy, huh?

And I'd like to say more to encourage anyone thinking of visiting Portland to reserve a room at the Pomegranate Inn. The place is a beautiful bed and breakfast with something interesting to look at in every nook and cranny. We had breakfast with a snobby woman who was talking about a house in Boston with art on every wall, and she said, "like here but GOOD art." hee hee Say what you want about the stuff on the walls—it was fascinating, and there was so much to take in that you discover something new every day.

This is the dining room where guests have breakfast together:

And this is the sitting room full of books and cookies in the afternoon:

And this the staircase leading to our room:

Finally, just a bit more ocean since I don't know when I'll see it again. We'll be visiting the Pacific when we take No. 1 to school in the summer, but the Atlantic will have to wait.

Comments

Lovely photos Robyn. I crave that sunshine...
dive said…
What a beautiful travelogue, Robyn. you had such glorious weather, too!
MmeBenaut said…
Looks like a lovely spot to stay Robyn and I love all that art on the walls - good or not!
Your daughter looks terrific with the Atlantic as a backdrop too. Welcome home.
Mark said…
Back to back vacations; how awful for you. :-)

Nice photos, though. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...