Skip to main content

Disney Doesn't Suck

Yesterday, we spent all day at the Animal Kingdom park, and our bones were tired. After walking around on cement for three days, we just wanted to sit down, in the shade. It's been 85 degrees and sunny every day, and all the little kids in the place seemed to be misbehaving, and I was cranky about having to be anywhere near them and their whining.

The park was interesting, and some of the attractions were fun, but something seemed to be missing. I kept thinking we should wander over to "fake" Asia, and maybe then we could go to "fake" Africa for the safari through the "savanna." I overheard a little girl say to her father, "Dad, look at this fake bamboo?" He assured her it was real, but she had become accustomed to assuming everything fake. It's all very clever, but it gets to you after a while. You start to question the validity of everything. Because the moon is bright and full every night, Eustacia and I have concluded it's actually a light attached to the dome up above, like we're vacationing in The Truman Show.

But then something interesting happened. After dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was marvelous, we took a bus back to the Magic Kingdom in order to grab a ferry to our own hotel. As we approached the parking lot, a classic Disney song began to play on the bus speakers—Jiminy Cricket with his familiar voice and well-wishes, and Eustacia and I both grinned and said, "aahhh."

That's what we have been missing these last two days at EPCOT and the "fake" world park with real animals—we have missed the nostalgia and the sense of well-being that we associate with the innocence and goodness of classic Disney characters. Say what you want about the passive woman-needs-man-for-survival message of Cinderella—she is lovely, and the songs and singing mice who are anything but passive remind you to find something at least tolerable in the least desirable situation.

Snow White finds solace in the company of the seven dwarfs. Pinocchio learns what it means to be human, that responsibility, sacrifice and strength of will go a long way to keep a person from wasting his life.

Tinkerbell is a punk, but seeing her image reminds me of being a bright-eyed child sitting in front of the TV on Sunday nights and watching the opening to the Disney program and wishing that I could one day actually go to Disney Land. Well, here I am, and while you can blame Disney for cheapening our culture if you want—you might be right on some level—for me and Eustacia, it provides a breather. It's not just a respite from reality, it's a reminder that reality need not be so harsh.

It's OK to be happy about simple things and cute things and fantastical things—a giant mice with four fingers and no malice, a talking floppy dog in a hat who just wants to make you giggle, a feisty duck with no pants and a flying elephant with ears the size of Never-Never-Land.

So, without apology, we will spend one more day enveloped in the shadow of a magical castle. And tonight, we'll sit on the beach under yet another full moon, wiggle our toes in the sand, and watch Wall-E on a giant screen.

Have a magical day.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee for vacationing in the Truman Show, Robyn.
I must confess, Disney after Walt just wasn't Disney any more for me. Sure, the Jungle Book was fantastic, but after that it all seemed so corporate and unmagical.
Jiminy Cricket singing Wish Upon A Star still brings a tear to my eye, though, so thanks for the reminder.
Enjoy your last day in colour before heading back to the world of greyscale the rest of us live in.
Shazza said…
You guys are having so much fun I want to be there too!

I'm glad you got to enjoy the "Magic Kingdom".

As far as Wall-e goes - one of my new favorite movies.
Anonymous said…
Great post as always, my friend! Have a great last day...and welcome back to Ohio later today :)
It's good sometimes to live a few days in the fluff of candy floss and the shock of primary colours. Enjoy it for what it is. As Dive says things at home, though comforting, will be grey by comparison.
Shan said…
Well, I am just so impressed with you taking out this special time for each of your girls and making such great memories together! E will never forget all of those wonderful talks you must have had. And living The Truman show trouble free lifestyle has got to be great after a winter of schoolwork and, well,real work.

Thanks for sharing your grand vacation with us! Oh and the inner workings of the package deal was interesting too as I'm sure Disney is in our semi-near future. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...