Skip to main content

Baby No. 1

This is Daughter No. 1 napping at her first Thanksgiving. What a little bug. She grew to love this plaid blanket even though it eventually ended up in tatters. She has managed to save a bit of it still.

So, what is No. 1 up to now, you may wonder. Well, I'll tell you. She has just enrolled in the graduate program at Berkeley and will most likely be known as Doctor No. 1 in five years—chemistry is her thing. She has been touring universities these last few weekends to decide which of the chemistry departments best suits her, and Berkeley is the one.

We'll move her to California some time in July—I'll tell you, having a child leave home for college is one thing, but having them move half-way across the country to be completely on their own is another. But let's not talk about that now. Let's just be glad the kid has found her niche, and one she is apparently very good at.

Yippee for No. 1.

Comments

Shan said…
Well, isn't that just wonderful news! She was an adorable baby and is a gorgeous young woman now. You have such pretty girls. I can tell they are both smarties like Mom and Dad as well.

I think being able to let your kids go as far away as they want without guilt is a great gift to give. That has been a hard thing over generations in our family and I can tell I'm going to have to really work at it when it's my turn.

I was just combing through baby pictures of my oldest yesterday as he turned 11 and I was getting a little overwhelmed about how fast it goes myself. sigh What a ferocious love-Motherhood. :)
dive said…
Yay! Well done, Daughter no.1.
And well done to you for giving her your smarts, Robyn.
Berkeley sounds a great place to be. Of course it will mean you having to suffer trips to California (HA!).
That really is excellent news and she sure does look cute under that blanket.
MmeBenaut said…
Oh Robyn; sleeping babies look so beautiful and Daughter no 1 doesn't disappoint.
Good luck on helping her to make the move out west!
Alifan said…
Ah Robyn that is a great photo...have some great ones of my two boys, but of course am banned from putting them on here!!!

I can imagine how you feel with no.1 going to move away, my two are only an hour away and I miss them like crazy,, silly isn't it....
Anonymous said…
I love that picture of No. 1. She is a special one. I just want to squeeze her cute little self, but then I usually do even now when she is home!! I can't imagine calling her "Dr." in a few years. Sheesh!
Great news, and my congrats to #1

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...