Skip to main content

Snuggled Up—Don't Get Used to It

"Don't get used to it" is what I think Mike and Tiger were grumbling to me last night when I found them snuggled up on the couch together. They don't typically spend time together that doesn't involved biting and kicking and chasing.

Tiger has a way of sauntering up to Mike and licking his head as if he likes him, but feigned affection is really just a prelude to biting his neck and goading him into fighting. Mike, being the bigger guy, will roll over, looking as if he's in the submissive position but knowing full well this is the best way to grab Tiger by the neck with his front paws while kicking him over and over again with his back paws. Tiger finds himself stuck in this position with his jaw bone clicking with each kick. This happens every single day.

So, when I found them snoozing next to each other last night, I couldn't help but take a picture. I'm pretty sure this will never happen again. Eustacia thought it was adorable while No. 1 thought Tiger's rear end must have smelled like an extension of Mike, eliminating the possibility of any affection Mike might have been feeling. Seems likely.

This photo and cat description has nothing to do with shoes during Shoe Week, but I had to offer it anyway. Cats don't wear shoes, you know, although sometimes they lay next to them, or more likely vomit on them. I don't know why that is unless it's their way of claiming territory.

Comments

Gosh I dread to think what you'd seen, had you gone in ten minutes later. I told you never to trust cats...
Anonymous said…
I LOVE THIS!! They look so content here :) Our Callie also loves to lay up against shoes and rub her head on them. No vomit yet, however :) She's too big to lay IN a shoe, but that would be cute too! Enjoyed having you at praise team last night!!
Shan said…
Ahhh. If I'd been there I would have had my head laying on them both. But that might have put me at Mike's rump and I remember that is not really where you want to find yourself. Scratch that thought. ;)

Happy weekend. I'm off to my hometown for a Lego robot building competition. This would be under the category of "Things you do with your 10 year old." if my life was a Jeopardy game. For me it's "Places you go where you never have to cook." Hmm...What is Mom's house? YEAH! Win Win. :D
dive said…
Awww … They're just a couple of old softies, Robyn.

I must admit, the "fight video" you posted was hilarious but this is just blissful.
They even make ME want to purr.
Sassy Sundry said…
Cute. I'm wheezing, but it's cute.
Scout said…
Lynn, they slept soundly until the phone rang and disturbed the little dears.

PF, that was one of the few times they have been content side by side.

Shan, they wouldn't have put up with anybody laying on them—they're just that way. It's a pity.

Dive, sleeping kitties ARE blissful.

Sassy, it's a shame you wheeze around kitties. Look how cute they can be?
MmeBenaut said…
I always think its sweet when cats cuddle up but I don't know how you cope with all that fighting every day.
My older cat has taken to stalking Sascha as well as Felix and poor little Sascha has been scratched in the eye more than once. I am almost beside myself trying to work out how to solve this problem and have even thought of giving my Kittypuss away except that she wouldn't be happy with anyone else. Oh dear, what to do?
Alifan said…
Oh Robyn great photo......think my Oscar misses cuddling up to Cassie.... but dare not introduce another cat, as he would be so jealous....

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.