Skip to main content

Read, Dammit!

My mind is mush today because I have been sickly all week—my mother calls it "puny." Does anyone else use that word for having something like a life-draining cold or whatever this is?

So, instead of a real post, I'll point you to this thing in the newspaper. There is an interesting comment at the end about how France subsidises their newspapers because they believe a varied source of opinions presented to the public is essential to a democracy. I wonder if that's true, and I wonder if the French government manages to help financially without trying to control the content.

Speaking of defending newspapers, a lot of people think they should die or at least become strictly online news sources because of all the trees we're destroying to print them. I'd just like to point out that in the US, 30 to 35% of newsprint is made of recycled pulp, and the end results are recycled into all sorts of things—beads, cereal boxes, egg cartons, insulation, tissue paper, grocery bags and wrapping paper. Here are some other things made with old newspapers:

gourmet scented pencils

yarn

furniture

usb drives

art—this story is disturbing because some bankers in the UK have asked the artist to do nude portraits of their wives from shredded stories of their financial accomplishments or the stories of their competition's failures.

We could do better with using recycled paper in newsprint—in England, the percentage is closer to 50%, and in some countries its even higher. I'd also like to point out that all the computers that allow us to get to these news websites don't run on air, and the computers themselves are filled with all kinds of nasty things that are quite often just tossed into landfills. Whatever humans do, we'll always leave tracks. Instead of standing still, maybe we could just learn to leave tracks a little more responsibly.

Oh, look. This turned into a post after all.

Comments

savannah said…
it's true, sugar, if we all lessened our own personal carbon footprint, we'd all be in better shape, on so many different levels. sadly, you know as well as i, that too many people latch on to buzz words/concepts without giving serious study to an issue...or issues.

fell better soonest! ;) xoxox
Miz Minka said…
"Whatever humans do, we'll always leave tracks. Instead of standing still, maybe we could just learn to leave tracks a little more responsibly.
"


Quite so, hear, hear!!
I once made a pair of boxer shorts from recycled news paper. They were a little on the stiff side. :)
Shan said…
You seem to have a touch of Tourette's when you're puny Robyn. I do hope you feel better soon. That WAS an entire entry I noticed that right away myself. You've got what it takes even whilst under the weather.

We love Smencils around here-have we talked about this before or am I having a Deja Vu. Weird. And the furniture is always so modern looking like it should be on display in glass walled houses.

Happy V day. I hope you feel like celebrating with your Sweetheart this weekend. :)
Sassy Sundry said…
i want that yarn. we really do need to recycle more.
Mark said…
I hope Small Town Newspaper knows you're one of their best ambassadors.

And didn't Pa in one of the Little House books twist newspaper into a firewood substitute?
dive said…
Gourmet scented pencils?
Let me get this straight, Robyn …
GOURMET SCENTED PENCILS?

Speaking as an anosmic I find that hugely offensive.

Hee hee.
I love newspapers. Long may they thrive. Especially any that print your wonderful writing, Robyn.
YAY! Great post. lol
By the way sorry you are feeling unwell. Yes I do have words: I usually do have my own vocab!
Snuffly - for not being able to breathe.
Gunk - the endless stuff you blow out of your nose and which lines your throat during a ghastly cold.
My son has an awful one at the moment, poor chap. He's suffering like you Robyn. Kisses for getting better xxx

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.