Skip to main content

A Night at the Pottery Studio

Do you remember when I told you about this place, the pottery studio in town that is like a sanctuary and has the feel of being in another world?

I went there last night with Eustacia and a few friends. Eustacia is home for the weekend because it's the weekend for Pantasia, the high school steel drum band's big concert. She was a part of the group for four years and wanted to be here for the concert. She's behaving like a 13th grader, she fears.

Anyway, it's tradition on this weekend that I host a big hairy deal dinner for the band directors and the guest percussionist, Tom Miller, who comes here from San Francisco/Denver to conduct a three-day clinic and be part of the concert. This year we decided to do something different and go to the pottery studio for what the potter and his wife called the Empty Bowl Extravaganza. For one price, you select a unique soup bowl made by the potter, fill it with one of a selection of fresh soups made by a local baker, have some bread and cookies from the same local baker and sip some wine from a local winery.

The room was warmed by a coal-burning stove and absolutely beautiful. As I mentioned before, the studio is in what was a one-room school house built in 1887. When the owners bought the place, they found amazing things like huge trunks that had been abandoned. These served as tables and were surrounded by mismatched chairs. There was great music in the background, and lots of happy chatter.

We admired the pottery, the bowls each of us had chosen and the gumption of this husband and wife who put it all on the line to be able to live simply by their skills and dreams. A few of us (not me) ventured down into the old basement that had a dirt floor, and they discovered handcut sandstone blocks that made up the foundation and saw how the school children from 100 years ago had written lasting messages on the blocks.

I'm not sure how the subject came up, but we started sharing what we would want for our last meal should we find ourselves in the position of choosing it, knowing it would be our last. Some of us recalled amazing meals in amazing restaurants, and we wondered if the atmosphere made the food taste better. If we had that same meal in another setting and in another time, would it be as memorable, or would it be disappointing?

I didn't share my last meal at the time, but if I had to choose it, I would choose my grandmother's fried chicken, green beans cooked to death with bits of ham hock, fresh squash from the garden and a giant piece of coconut cake with seven-minute icing. Sigh. It would have to be served by my grandmother while in her kitchen in Alabama. And I would have to be sitting at that old metal dinette set with the smell of all-day cooking in the air. And there needs to be cornbread made from scratch, not like that fake stuff that comes from a mix.

So, it was a magical evening in the pottery studio. Here are the bowls we chose—Eustacia's is on the left, and mine is on the right. Question: what would you choose for your last meal?

Comments

Terroni said…
Would you mind being a little more specific about where this is? I have some friends and family in your area who would be very interested in supporting the local artisans.

tterroni at hotmail.
dive said…
This sounds like a wonderful evening, Robyn. I love the pots and the whole thing sounds amazing fun.
Anonymous said…
If you get my name at Christmas I want something from that shop! I'll join you with Mimaw for a last meal - the table is likely to be crowded if we all get our choice.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...