Skip to main content

Jenny Lind Was a Rock Star, and I Never Knew

When Eustacia was a baby, she slept in a Jenny Lind crib, but I never thought to investigate who this Jenny Lind was. Now I know.

Last week I interviewed this elderly couple—retired missionaries—who refurbish antique trunks. They find crappy looking trunks at flea markets and auctions, and they sort through what's junk and what's worth saving. Given their skills, they can save just about anything, but Jenny Lind trunks are their favorite, and that led me to read further.

Jenny Lind was a famous opera singer in the mid-1800s. She was from Stockholm and sang all over Europe. Mendelssohn was one of her biggest fans and wrote with her in mind, even the final high note in Elijah, oddly enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a little crush on the girl.

Dive probably knows all about this, but Lind discovered Norwich, England and loved it so much that she gave concerts there a lot and donated some of the ticket proceeds to local charities. The children's wing in the Norwich hospital is still named for her.

And that's just one example of how the woman was a rock star. P. T. Barnum discovered Jenny and brought her to the States. He acted as sort of an agent for her, and she gave concerts all over the country. She was a huge hit, and people expressed their admiration for her by naming everything they could think of after her.

Here are just a few examples: cribs, changing tables, sewing machines, China patterns, a water treatment plan in California, soup. Yes, soup. It's made with mashed rutabagas, broth, Gruyere, and cream. Lind traveled with a cool set of trunks made in Europe, and American luggage makers were impressed. They made something similar and called it the Jenny Lind trunk, and the things sold like anything. You can tell if a trunk is a Lind trunk because it's sort of shaped like a loaf of bread when you see it from the side.

There was a Jenny Lind steam locomotive built for a company in London. And there is a tower near the beach in Cape Cod. It's just a tower—not attached to anything like a castle, nothing in it like a light, just a tower.

Like I said, Jenny Lind was a rock star.

Comments

dive said…
Yay! The Swedish Nightingale.
Yes, we have the Jenny Lind Hospital here. She certainly got around a bit.
Mark said…
That's fascinating. I just thought she made beds. Thank goodness there were no tabloid shows, or all we'd remember would be the embarassing photos.
And I thought Jenny Lind made chocolate.
MmeBenaut said…
Makes you wonder how some people can pack all of that into one life doesn't it? Fantastic story Robyn.
How interesting, Robyn.
My mother is in Norwich hospital as we speak. Hip replacement. She is recovering.
Miz Minka said…
I once lived in a small town in the California foothills that used to be called Jenny Lind and even had its own ZIP code before it was gobbled up by another town. I never knew where the name came from; thanks for such an interesting article!
Unknown said…
I worked in the pharmacy dept with Miss Talbolt in the early 70's
Graham

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.