Skip to main content

Isn't We Supposed to Be Havin' A Fiesta?

The English-as-a-second-language class I volunteer with had a fiesta last night. The program is part of Even Start, a learning program, and they joined up with Head Start, another learning group, for their annual shindig.

There are really two groups of people within the programs—the Hispanics who work their tails off to learn English, and the Americans who dropped out of school and now have to get back into it. Sometimes the Americans are there by court order to avoid jail time or to keep their kids, so they are often more likely to have an attitude and less likely to apply themselves. Either way, everyone showed up, and the party room was filled with 225 people plus staff and volunteers.

Mexican restaurants from all over donated the food, and this Puerto Rican couple I have come to love made dessert. The woman, Suhey, was a professional baker back home, so she made flan for 100 people and this adorable almond cake that is tradition for Puerto Rican parties. Her husband, José, is one hard working father. He was working two jobs but is now down to one. He works in the kitchen at Red Lobster but would rather do almost anything else. José gave salsa dancing instructions at the party.

There were craft tables for the 50 gazillion screaming kids—they made ponchos out of grocery bags, maracas out of paper tubes and beans, beaded necklaces, and picture frames to hold the family photos that were taken at the door. They played pin the tale on the burro and limbo with this blow-up cactus thing.

It was all very fun, and one of the teachers and I stood in the back and marveled at how lucky we were to be part of it. And we wondered what we did with ourselves before we got involved with this program. Lucky us.

Comments

dive said…
Wow! What a great party.
I love that cake, Robyn. Hoorah for Suhey and José.
What a fun cake Robyn. A blow-up cactus thingy? Phew. Rather you than me.
Shazza said…
I LOVE that cake! It's beautiful!
We had home made toast this morning! I made the bread from your recipe yesterday - it's great! I might add a little more salt next time and less sugar, but that's just to taste. I also need to cook it a little longer but that's only my cranky oven! It was such a thrill to bake my own bread - haven't done that for ages and this was soooooo easy! Thank you! x

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.