Skip to main content

Fit For the King of Bananas

For the last few days, I've been typesetting an Amish cookbook which has put me off of Amish food for life, I'm afraid, not that I was a big fan before. But I don't want to talk about that. I want to talk about Elvis.

Years ago, I edited a bed and breakfast directory by a publisher who also did fun things like anthologies of the Andy Griffith Show and the kinds of books you'd find in the gift shop at Cracker Barrel. I got paid in real money, but they also sent me a book as a gift—Fit For A King; The Elvis Presley Cookbook.

After "thank you," my second response was "ew." All I knew about Elvis was his love for fat and slop, hollowing out a loaf of bread and stuffing it with icky things. But this cookbook isn't all bad. It's full of the food I grew up with, being southern. It's got recipes for barbecue, fried chicken, fried okra and sweet potato pie. And it's got bananas—banana bread, banana shakes, banana cream pie, banana muffins, banana pudding. According to the book, the kitchen staff was instructed to prepare banana pudding every night of the week, although the recipe in this book doesn't sound much like what my mother used to make with vanilla wafers.

Along with all of that, Fit For A King tells you how to make peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I loved those as a kid, but the Elvis version is a little different. We used to spread peanut butter on a slice of bread and top it with sliced bananas and another slice of bread. Yum. The King liked to blend the peanut butter with ripe bananas to make banana mush, smear it on bread. and then grill the sandwich in a skillet with butter.

That makes sense since everything southern is better when fried in some fashion. I guess what we made when we were kids was a shortcut, or maybe all we needed was kitchen staff to fry us up some sandwiches whenever we wanted. It pays to be the King.

Comments

dive said…
Holy Moly, Robyn! Fat for a King!
I would dearly love a copy of that cookbook, if only to read when I felt like snacking and to put me off food.
Yikes!
Poor Elvis. He had a fantastic voice but a suicidal diet.
I always feel sad and affectionate when I see Elvis. Much more going on behind a simple love of fatty foods I think. I like some of his music and his voice, great. His look, his smile mmmm....oh the knees have gone again....!

I like bananas a lot so I'd like to see some of those recipes, though I'd leave out butter on top of peanut butter. Ew.

Gosh but that first photo is lovely. Where was I? Oh yes, I'd quite like to talk Amish actually. More info please?
Shan said…
Well, I don't know about the cookbook but that top photo looks entirely edible.

How is he still capable of reducing the ladies to slobbering fools Lynn? Baha. Yum.

I don't like those fried banana sammamiches though. I've tried em.
Mark said…
So you lost me at "banana mush" but got me right back at "grill it in a skillet." Might have to try that actually. And you're no good for people trying to eat sensibly, you know that Robyn?
I don't know, Shan. He's just....got it. Blush, mush, gaze...;)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.