Skip to main content

A Big Disappointment

One of my regular Internet stops is at Salon where Garrison Keillor writes a weekly column. Even if at first it seems to be about nothing, it is actually always about something, and that something is typically insightful.

This week, he writes about obituaries and how we shouldn't bother living so that ours is significant because it's likely to be a big disappointment. You can read it here.

I have a friend or two who have tried to write their obituaries in advance because they heard it was a cathartic experience—helps you take stock in yourself now, fix things that need fixing or take pride in things that are praise worthy before it's too late to do anything about it.

I haven't tried to do that myself because I find it hard to think about my obituary without thinking of myself as being dead, and I'd rather not have that image in my head. I suppose someone will do a write-up with the usual stuff about where I lived and who I married and who has survived me. I'm not much of a joiner, so there aren't any club memberships to mention, but I do like to stay busy. Maybe somebody will write that I showed up late in life to do the things I really enjoy, like horn playing and writing for the public, and it's a shame I didn't start sooner so that I didn't end up so far behind. Oh well.

I've mentioned this before, but my favorite Anne Lamott quote comes from her description of how she has learned to pray. At first, she was waking up in the morning and saying "Please, please, please," and then she would go to bed saying "Thank you, thank you, thank you." But she eventually learned to wake up and say "Whatever," and she went to bed saying, "Oh well."

I've decided that should be my obituary. "Oh well." That may sound dismal, but I think it's really more a sign of contentment, like saying, "I did what I could, and it was enough. And if it wasn't, I guess it'll have to be now."

Or I could just quote a pal who wisely said, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." I think he borrowed that from W. C. Fields whose tombstone reads, "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Comments

Pearl said…
:-)
I'm going to use that lobotomy line...

Pearl
dive said…
Robyn I hope it's a very, very long time indeed before you have to give any thought to your obituary, but it's going to be a doozy; packed with superlatives about your writing, your journalism, your horn playing, your charity and volunteer work, your art, your crafts … oh, so many facets and wonderful skills before they even start on your work and your beautiful daughters.
Some people live just to read the obits. We used to call em the Irish sports page here in Boston but that's changing. I find it odd that some newspapers descrobe the deceased by what they did for work. Like "Joe Blow - was night watchman for such and such a company". That's not how I would like to be remembered. I think having something comical on your stone is a good idea. hmmmmm some food for thought.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.