Skip to main content

You Want Pictures of Snow You Say?

I've got your snow right here. We aren't inundated like the people who get two feet in one snow fall, but we've got plenty with ice underneath. I left the house twice yesterday, and each time it snowed when I didn't need it to. (click on these for a better view)

This is what was going on just as I arrived at the Y.

And this is what my windshield looked like an hour later.

When I managed to swerve my way back home, I took this picture of a poor summer lawn ornament that was still stuck in a bush.

And here is a tiny bird's nest that can hold an amazing amount of snow. Click on this picture to see how all the tiny branches are encased in ice—and I think there are actually two nests in the tree.

Later on, I had to drive out on a country road that, I'm not kidding, is called Possom Hollow. I had to take a photo of some people for a newspaper article about their business. I don't think I ever went more than 15 miles an hour on that road because, of course, it was snowing huge flakes. These are the turnout pastures behind the stable. There are hawks in those trees on the ridge, and when they scream out on a day like this, your skin crawls because it's the only sound you can hear out there.

Comments

dive said…
Brr … No thank you, Robyn; I do NOT want pictures of snow! Especially not as we're due to get a load of the horrid stuff dumped on us over the next few days.

I did like the bird igloo, though.
RoverHaus said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has a summer lawn ornament up in my back yard.

And Possum Hollow? What exactly is that? What is hollow? Who comes up with these names?
Yippeeee! Thanks Robyn I for one love them. Gosh those nests - I wonder if the birds can survive?
The ice on the branches is delightful too. I don't envy that chap his job of snow blowing. Is it even worth doing?
Why do I love the snow so much? I don't know... I mean, I'm asking mySELF! I've no idea, I'm really drawn to it. Where could I have lived in a former life? :)
Thanks Robyn. As Dive said, isn't it fantastic (well no he didn't say that bit) that we're getting some too next week! It won't be much, probably. We'd be lucky to scrape a snowman together from five gardens, but still...yay. :)
By the way it was quite brave to drive just for an interview.
What's the temperature there?

Tonight we shall be -2 C - go on, you can guffaw now... ;)
Alifan said…
Robyn that looks very very cold, think I will hope it does not get like that here.... take caare... xxx
Shazza said…
We don't get much snow here in my part of Jersey, but the little apartment I was staying up at in PA is just over the first range in the Pocono mountains.

I never saw the ground the whole time I was there and I can see how quickly you can get sick of it being around.

What a mess!

Stay warm!
Scout said…
Shazza, I have driven through the Poconos during a horrendous snow storm. I know exactly what you mean.

Alifan, stay warm and stay inside. And take care of Oscar.

Lynn, this has been an unreasonable cold January—this morning it was 4˚F. I don't know how that translates for you.

Jason, hollow is the space between the hills, isn't it? It could be kind of fun to find out how that road got it's backwoods name.

Cheri, BRRR is right. And we've got two more months of winter, probably.

Dive, you'll have to post pictures of what snow you get so we can compare.
Back for another look!
Wow that's -16 C Robyn. Brr indeed. Recently we had -10 in Gloucestershire but that was unusual.

I'm intrigued by the summer ornaments by the way. I see RoverHaus also has them. What are they? Can you tell us about them as it's an unknown concept in England to my knowledge.
So today the UK has real snow - but it avoided me ! How unfair is that? :(

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...