Skip to main content

What's Up with the Catholics and All Their Stuff?

Last year, Eustacia found an envelope in the mail, a plea for funds to support a Catholic charity of some sort. Being a good-hearted soul, she put $5 in an envelope and mailed it off. The charity must have given her name to every other Catholic charity in the country because now she gets requests for money every week. And they don't just ask for money. They give her things, too.

So far, she's gotten three rosaries, a wooden crucifix about three inches tall, greeting cards, Christmas wrapping paper with ribbons, laminated prayer cards, and a key chain with a picture of Mary on it. For a Protestant, that's a pretty good haul but sort of useless.

This week, she got a booklet with prayers and African proverbs as part of a campaign to raise money for various needs in Africa. Here are some highlights from the booklet:

•Wait until you have crossed the river before telling the crocodile that he has an ugly face.

•If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito.

•If you don't mend the cracks, you will soon be rebuilding the wall.

•He who dares finds a way; he who fears finds an excuse.

I suppose protestant organizations don't send trinkets with their pleas because they don't believe in them. They don't have rosaries or crucifixes, and a lot of them aren't keen on written prayers. There are some who send "blessed" prayer cloths in exchange for cash, but you can assume those people are full of crap.

I kind of like this growing collection of Catholic things and have set it all aside for Eustacia to do with as she pleases when she gets home from school. Mostly, though, I like that my daughter is sensitive enough to the needs of other people to send off $5. It isn't much, but I know she would have given much more had she had it.

A Burundi proverb: It is the light of God that shines in the eyes of every child.

Comments

Shan said…
I am impressed with the Catholic church's generosity in their communities. My brother having gone through an illness that has affected his ability to work, has been taken care of so well (medically) over in California. I ask him what these benefits are that he seems to be getting and he said it was a Catholic hospital getting him plugged in to the various Doctors and treatments. I really appreciate that about them. Do they do more localized charity while evangelicals go overseas a lot? I don't know.
Sometimes they will try to bully you with guilt, Robyn. I grew up a Catholic in Boston and as we all know...

Good day!!
Hmmm well like Scout and Shan, I am impressed by them (and of course your daughter Robyn in the first place). Whilst Rich is shouting my corner aswell; I'm a little suspicious...
By the way - he he look at you in your cute little xmas hat!
Maria said…
The thing is...they give you that stuff and it is like the godfather. Now, when they need something, they will have no problem asking you to reciprocate, because...after all...they DID give you that nifty rosary.
dive said…
Wonderful proverbs, Robyn. And well done Eustacia for being so giving.
"For a protestant, that's a pretty good haul" is a great phrase. Hee hee.
dive said…
And Lynn's right. You look even cuter in that Santa hat.
Shazza said…
Yup - it's all about the guilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...