Skip to main content

Hispanic Day

I felt like yesterday was Hispanic Day considering the things I found myself doing.

First, Eustacia and I went to the Christmas party for the language class group. Each child in the program got a personalized gift from Santa and Mrs. Claus and a few moments to tell the big guy what they want for Christmas. If you try to tell me this isn't the real Santa, you'll be sorry. Here he is holding a baby dressed in Santa jammies.

Then we went for the food—it's always about the food.

Tamales, flautas, seasoned rice, and mole.

Empanadas. Sorry for the fuzziness of the photos, but these things were incredible.

Ceviche. Yum.

We also had flan and a great warm punch filled with all kinds of fruit. It's a Mexican tradition and is somewhat like mulled cider.

Next up, was a trip back to a Latin store to allow the newspaper photographer to capture the place. I took some of my own photos and will show them a little later.

Comments

dive said…
Fantastic stuff, Robyn!
Yup, that's definitely the real Santa. No wonder he's that shape if he's presented with food this fabulous on his travels.

I can't wait to see the photos you took in the Latin store.
All that grub looks pretty darn good, Robyn. Like you mentioned in yer other post You're no slacker.
Shan said…
Delish!! How nice!!
savannah said…
hola! how grand a feast! my bff (orginally from texas) and i are thinking about making tamales for new years eve (my birthday!!!) looking forward to your pictures, sugar! xoxo
Wow, forget the food, I like the SANTAS! How exciting. Adore the cutie Baby Santa too. We never see a Mrs. Santa in the UK so that's a tad weird for me. Is she popular in America?
Shazza said…
M's favorite is Pastella's very hard to find around here.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...