Skip to main content

Dipping Biscuits

My sole contribution to last week's Thanksgiving food was to help Daughter No. 1 make biscuits for the turkey soup on Friday. We made Dipping Biscuits from Bon Appétit, November '07, and they were yummy, a hint of sage and butter like your favorite stuffing.

I made them again the other day to go with butternut squash and chickpea stew, and they were just as luscious. I discovered that if you warm them, cut them open, and fill them with a bit of butter and a bit of pumpkin butter, then you've got an amazing treat that will make you close your eyes and sigh.

Dipping Biscuits

2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 cup buttermilk plus additional for brushing biscuit tops
1 large egg

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk whole wheat flour, bread flour, baking powder, salt, onion powder, baking soda, thyme, and sage in large bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 1 cup buttermilk and egg in small bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture and mix with fork until evenly moistened (dough will be slightly sticky).

Turn biscuit dough out onto floured work surface. Knead briefly just until dough comes together, about 4 turns. Gather dough into ball. Using hands, flatten dough to 3/4-inch-thick round. Using 2-inch-diameter biscuit cutter or cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds. Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart. Gather dough scraps; flatten to 3/4-inch thickness and cut out additional rounds. Brush tops of biscuits with additional buttermilk.

Bake biscuits until tops are light golden and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer biscuits to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

dive said…
Oooooh! Yummy, Robyn!
Mum makes things like that and they are delicious.
I've yet to try pumpkin butter but it sounds wonderful.
Mrs. G. said…
Those are some good looking biscuit. I have never made a successful batch--always to dry and hard.
Shazza said…
My mouth is watering.
MmeBenaut said…
Ah, we call them "scones" but this is the most delicious recipe I've seen. I've never tried pumpkin butter before. I think I'm coming to your place for thanksgiving dinner next year!
savannah said…
mmmmmmmmm, sounds delish! i may have to try this one before the MITM leaves, sugar. xoxox
Gosh they're huge, like cakes!

What category does this come under in Brainbone? ... lol...sorry I'm obsessed with it.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...