Skip to main content

Busy Busy Busy

Design Partner Ashley and I spent yesterday working on book cover projects. We began at the costume shop in Canton where we sorted through rows and rows of theater costumes looking for dresses from the 1600s, 1800s, and 1940s. In this row, I found a dress from the Music Man section for a model with a beautiful headshot and measurements just right for the costume. Unfortunately, she didn't tell anyone she had gained 15 to 20 pounds and let her hair go from the mahagony brown I needed to its original blond since that headshot was made. The dress didn't fit, so we'll reshoot next week with a different girl.

In this bin of hats from every theater production you can name, we found a couple of hats to go with our costumes.

And here are the headpieces for The King and I, which we did not need, thankfully.

After we rented all of the costumes, we went to the photographer's studio. We schedule the models so that while one is being shot, the next one is in the dressing room having her hair done up in some kind of Victorian do. That way we can work efficiently and earn our keep every moment of the day. But in those rare moments when we're waiting for the models to finish with the makeup or the curling of that last tendril, we find ways to amuse ourselves.

Here is Ashley testing the pressure of various clamps that we use to tighten costumes that are too large, clamps that were not necessary with the model in the Music Man getup. This clamp hurt.

But this clamp really hurt.

A job well done.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee. Sorry for giggling at your fat model with bleached hair, Robyn, but it tickled me.
As did Ashley's S&M pics … ahem.
So do we get to see the finished article?
Can't wait to see the finished product!
MmeBenaut said…
Like Lynn, I can't wait to see the finished photos either. Good luck Robyn.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.