Skip to main content

The Alabama House

In line with yesterday's post: this is the house where my grandparents lived for all the years I can remember. The photo crops out the living room to the left which had a picture window in the front and a fireplace on the side.

Before this place, they lived up the road in a little brick house with a pond behind it that was stocked with fish of some kind. They sold it to a man named Dollar, and the property was thereafter referred to as Dollar's Pond. They had an arrangement with the new owner that provided they could fish there any time they wanted, so we went fishing at Dollar's Pond every summer. I mainly just watched because I was afraid to bait my own hook, and Granddaddy, not a patient man, got tired of baiting it for me just so I could feed the fish with the worms.

And this is one of the dish-soap things my grandmother made. Closed, it looks like a little purse.

Opened, it holds a baby wrapped in blue cloth. I loved this thing enough to keep it all of these years.

And one more thing: Rich mentioned something about listening to me reading yesterday's post. Here I am reading it, fumbling now and then, so excuse that.

Comments

dive said…
What a sweet house, Robyn. Your childhood Christmas post was so wonderful, it's nice to imagine you all turning up at the door there and surprising them.
My gran used to make strange little knitted things, too. Unfortunately those are long gone. I'm glad you held on to yours.

Now you've made a rod for your own back. We will want to hear you read ALL of your posts for us. Hee hee.
You have a lovely speaking voice, Robyn.
Shan said…
WEEEEEEE! I love audiobooks!! What a pleasant sounding voice you have-very smooth. I always thought it would fun to be a voice actor and record books for a living. I even thought when I started my blog it would be fun to read a chapter of a book on certain days so that people could tune in and be read to. Of course, there are some tiny copyright issues involved in that whole scheme, so phoo.

Well, that was fun. I liked the part when you said in your oh so slightly Northern accent "That Gomer Pyle was a hoot!" Right then I could tell you would be able to switch over into a Sarah Palin impression instantly if you wanted to. heeheehee ;)
WOW!!! You have already made my holiday season much warmer, Robyn. listening to you reading that story I felt like a litle kid in the library during story time, sitting there with my mouth open and my eyes glued on your face as you read. I have to get a copy of this for my ipod and use it as a destress tool.

THANK YOU!!!
Also, I like the fact that your Grandparents could make a deal with the new owner to fish at the pond. Things were much simplier when people did things like that.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...