Skip to main content

Nothing New Under the American Flag

You know the phrase—there's nothing new under the sun. Narrow that down a little, and you can safely say there's nothing new in American politics even when we think we're making history.

I have been reading Charles Osgood's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the White House, a book full of odd stories about presidential campaigns from Truman through Bush's second term. It seems fumbles, lies, dirt flinging, and snide remarks about political opponents have always been part of running for office.

When Adlai Stevenson was running against Eisenhower, he was accused of being a socialist. Sound familiar? The phrase used against him was actually "creeping Socialism." He said in his defense, "I am no more in favor of Socialism than anybody else, and I particularly dislike things that creep. But if I don't like what they call creeping Socialism, there is something else I dislike just as much, and that is galloping reaction."

In 1976, when Morris Udall was running against Carter in the primaries, he said, "Carter was the first politician in memory to come complete with halo." When he lost in the primaries, Udall said, "The voters have spoken—the bastards!"

Gerald Ford was running for the republican ticket that same year, and Lyndon Johnson said of him, "So dumb, he can't fart and chew gum at the same time."

When Jack Kemp was running in the primaries in 1988, he said of his opponent Bob Dole, "In a recent fire, Bob Dole's library burned down. Both books were lost. And he hadn't even finished coloring one of them yet."

That year Dan Quayle was Bush's running mate. There are so many quotes to choose from to represent Quayle, but we'll just say this: "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.' "

"The media is backing off Dan Quayle," said comedian Mark Russell, "They're afraid of another backlash. So they're only asking him questions they think he can handle. Like, how many teams are in the Big 10?" Criticizing the media for asking difficult questions is an old trick, apparently.

The term "pit bull" isn't new either. Quayle was described as being Bush's pit bull, and to that Bill Clinton said, "That's got every fire hydrant in America worried."

And finally, one more comment that should sound familiar: Mike Royko, Chicago's curmudgeonly editorialist, said of Bob Dole, "It's Dole's misfortune that when he does smile, he looks as if he's just evicted a widow."

So, when you think you can't stand one more minute of this never-ending presidential campaign, or if you think it's never been dirtier or pettier or more off topic when it comes to the real issues that are eating us alive, just think about our campaign history. It's old news.

Comments

dive said…
Boy oh boy I have got to get that book, Robyn.
Hilarious and educational!

As a galloping (rather than a creeping) socialist I do wish Americans would actually look the term up in a dictionary.
And then shut up about it.
savannah said…
we are amusing, that's for sure! ;) i'm going to buy that book, sugar, thanks for the tip. xoxoxo
Nice article, Scout. I always feel like I'm reading from the news paper in small town now. You make a good and very valid point here. Politics is nasty business and there aint nothin new going on.
RoverHaus said…
Ahhh, what a nice reprieve from all the shameless plugs for (insert your candidate here).

Thanks for a brief little trip through history and enjoying it for what it is!
Shan said…
Did I get a Democratic's take on this book or was it written by one? Ah, that's OK, I still like you Robyn. But now I'm just a tiny bit afraid of you after seeing what you did to those trout. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!! Am I cheeky today? Off with my head! ;)
dr sardonicus said…
It was ever thus. John Adams' enemies referred to him as "His Rotundity", and Abraham Lincoln was compared to a gorilla. Not even Osgood goes back that far, though...

The most frustrating thing about this year's mudslinging is those holdout Hillary supporters who keep saying they won't vote for Obama because of the things he said about her in the primary.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...