Skip to main content

Still No Nuts

I'm still looking for buckeyes, but it has now moved from being a simple task to being a mission. I am determined. The other day, a friend told me about a buckeye tree she was sure was nestled in a cemetery in Small Town Next Door, and she drew a map on the back of a napkin so I would know just where to find it. She even sketched out the shape of the leaf so I wouldn't mistakenly bump into a maple tree.

So, I drove to this cemetery on a quiet morning and set out with a plastic bag stuffed in my purse to hold all the nuts I would gather from the ground. I walked the entire length and width of this graveyard and didn't find a single nut. I'm not sure if I even found the right kind of tree, so it's possible the place had been cleaned up, and any nuts on the ground were swept away. With the hurricane winds we had here last week, that's probable.

I didn't let the situation go to waste, though. Walking through a cemetery in the quiet of the morning with just the birds and the squirrels can actually be a pleasant thing. This guy seemed at least curious but wouldn't let me get any closer.

I found this tombstone honoring someone born as early as 1794, which may not seem remarkable to someone who lives in a place with an older sense of history, but the age of the marker caught my attention.

I can't make out the dates on this one, but I liked the carving of the shaking hands.

And this one, while in poor repair, shows a hand pointing up, I presume to heaven, although in this case it was actually pointing to a utility truck parked by an access road. That could be taken as a clue to the cause of death if it were in a nonsense movie—Abbot and Costello and the Search for Fallen Buckeyes.


Comments

dive said…
"Pointing to a utility truck".
Hee hee, Robyn! Brilliant.
I love old graveyards. As you may know we have some of the oldest burial grounds here in Boston and I still like to browse through them now and again. If your home abutts a grave yard you are sure to have quiet neighbors.

Here's to Jacob Kitch!!! I like that name.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...