Skip to main content

Scout the Seamstress

As I have mentioned, I design book covers. For the next few weeks I'll be focused on putting together covers for a series of romance books. These aren't your typical trash books with sultry images on the cover—bodice rippers, those are called. These are more wholesome and will only have an image of the main character, fully clothed, and a background general enough to let you know where the stories take place.

Easy enough except that four of these books are historical, and the costumes have to be reasonably accurate. I wandered through a costume warehouse today with my teammate, the other designer working on this project, and we found a few suitable dresses, although it was tough going. This warehouse rents costumes to theaters, so all of their dresses relate to specific shows—Oklahoma, South Pacific, and Greek tragedies that require togas. We have a lot of fun in this shop and like to imagine wearing the dozens and dozens of hats and wigs with the hundreds of dresses and old uniforms from WW1, but we don't always find what we need.

I did not find a dress from the 1650s today because there isn't a play from that time period, or so I'm told. So, I am going to make one myself. We do what we have to do. It will take the weekend, I'm sure. This is the pattern I will use, and I will have to make some slight modifications to make it as historically accurate as I can. Sigh.

My mother sewed most of our clothes when my sisters and I were growing up. I was twelve when my parents bought a dress for me from a store, actually already sewn and on a hangar. I was amazed and felt a little guilty because it cost a total of $24.95. It was a dark blue jumper with a coordinating striped blouse, and I thought I was the coolest kid in town in that thing.

My machine isn't too different from my mothers, but it's worlds apart from my grandmothers, the Wilma Flintstone version of a sewing machine with the big foot pedal that kept the thing running. I don't know how sewing was done in the 1600s, if they had a machine or made all the stitches by hand. All I can say is I'm glad I've got a modern machine in a modern world. I'll show you the results when I'm finished.

Comments

dive said…
Cool!
I can't wait to see the result, Robyn.
Those pesky Puritans weren't really into the theatre but I'm surprised the costume shop didn't have some early settler style clothes.
Hey ho.
Making your own is much more fun.
Anonymous said…
Robyn,
Who's going to be wearing the dress on your book cover? Are you going to put one of my nieces' faces on her? So many options - how do you decide!?
Mrs. G. said…
What a cool task. Can't wait to see the results.
Shazza said…
I am in awe of anyone who can sew! Can't wait to see the final product!

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...