Skip to main content

Scout the Public Speaker

So, I was sitting there minding my own business when the phone rang, but this time it wasn't the manager of the grocery store. This time it was a woman representing the county writers' guild. I love that we have one, but I have never given a thought to joining. I don't know why.

This woman, Ms. Snodgrass, which is the greatest name I have ever heard, has been reading my editorials in Small Town's newspaper and has been impressed. She asked if I would consider being the guest speaker at the guild's September meeting. humina humina humina

Let me tell you about me and public speaking. I was a shy child and did not like having to stand up in front of people and speak. That did not change by the time I was a student in high school. I was forced to give speeches in my language classes, and I did whatever I could to escape the torment.

I remember in my freshman year when our huge class of about 300 students was divided by possible grade—if you put off your assignments a certain length of time, there was no way you could get more than a C regardless of your work, so you would be put in a class room with C students, as an example. In that language class, I was usually with the A students, but when speech time came, I let myself be shuffled around until I was finally put in a corner room with the D students, the ones who looked and acted like Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club. There I was with the boys and girls who normally frightened me in the hallways and in the park after school when they were sneaking joints and planning secret parties.

I have to say they were the nicest and most accepting bunch of kids I had ever spent time with, and they were so supportive of me when I finally stood up and gave my speech with trembling hands and what felt like a wad of cotton in my mouth. A friend recently used the phrase "tightening colon" when referring to nervousness on stage. Nervousness in a speech class has the same effect.

Later in high school, I had to give a speech for a teacher that would not allow anyone to postpone their assigned delivery date. So, when it was my turn to speak, I worked up a fever, went to the school nurse, and was sent home for the day. That's how well I handled public speaking in those days.

I'm not sure I have outgrown this abhorrence for speech giving, but the charm of Ms. Snodgrass led me to accept her challenge. I am mulling over an outline, but presently I have no idea what I will say to these people, all fifteen to twenty of them. I hear they have snacks at these meetings, and I am considering slipping some whiskey in my tea right before I am introduced. If nothing else, that should solve the cotton-mouth dilemma.

Comments

dive said…
Snodgrass? SNODGRASS?
How tewwibly English, Robyn!
You've come a long way since school and you're now well used to being on stage in front of lots of people so you'll do fine. The female Garrison Keillor.
Plus you have a lovely voice with fine projection. I can still hear it in my head, as we entered the Elizabethan Paintings room in the Tate Gallery and you yelled "Hey! That man's got no trousers on!"
Hee hee.
Alifan said…
I remember that as well.. two minds saw that at the same time......cannot believe you had not noticed before...
good luck Robyn .....you will be wonderful as usual...
Miz Minka said…
Oh my. It's much easier for me to sing in front of a group of people than to give a speech. I think I'd rather go to the dentist than give a speech. Well, but kudos to you for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g youself!! I don't know about the voice part because I've never heard yours, but I agree with Dive that you've come a long way since high school, baby. ;) You'll do great!
Anonymous said…
miz minka said it well. I, too, would MUCH rather sing than speak in front of a group. So glad people are noticing your writings, Robyn!! You go, girl!!
Shan said…
OH I CAN SO RELATE WITH THIS ONE ROBYN! I was interrupted yesterday while reading of your speaking avoidance so I wanted to get back here and give you an encouraging whoop.

You are not the girl of yesteryear. You are woman, hear yourself roar? It might even help to pretend like you are a teacher and you're giving some college freshmen your best seasoned advice on how to write in the real world. I don't know. My colon is tightening at the mere thought that someone would ask the same of me. They won't, but I have a vivid imagination I'm afraid.

I actually blame my whole college failure on Public Speaking 101. After my third year at JBU as a Broadcasting major, I had had ENOUGH awkward times in front of a camera and I wasn't about to take a class where I'd have to actually come up with my own subject and wax on authoritatively about it. I just can't pull that off without doing physical harm to myself. So I changed schools and majored in Nursing.
Little did I know algebra and chemistry would become my new "speech" class.
You are clearly not spun from the same weak fibers from which I was made. You have evolved, and you WILL PREVAIL!! :D
Shazza said…
Isn't public speaking one of the top 10 worst fears for most people?

I think most people are very appreciative of a guest speaker and if they have ever tried it they know how hard it is.

Relax...be yourself and just talk about what you know and you'll be fine!

Break a leg!
Lulubelle B said…
I enjoy public speaking and thrive on the attention. Always have.

I may not have this common phobia, but I've got another that's unusual. See my Sept 4 post "Fear The Green" and be sure to read the comments back and forth with Dive.

Good luck with your meeting. You'll be fine.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...